rack & pinion straigt axle set up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rack @pinion power steering set up

Thanks for that link man ....now after all these views ya would think somebody whould have a pick or two of the set up.

I have rack & pinion steering on 3 rods. Two have beam axles and one has a tube axle. I used a VW Sirocco and two Geo racks. All are mounted to the axle. There is a slip joint between the pinion shaft and the steering shaft to allow for length changes when hitting bumps. Since these were installed before I got a digital camera, I don't have any construction pics. I'm very satisfied with all these installations.

I have rack & pinion steering on 3 rods. Two have beam axles and one has a tube axle. I used a VW Sirocco and two Geo racks. All are mounted to the axle. There is a slip joint between the pinion shaft and the steering shaft to allow for length changes when hitting bumps. Since these were installed before I got a digital camera, I don't have any construction pics. I'm very satisfied with all these installations.

hey bob been think bout doin the same! would you just have a pic of the slip joint or tell me what you used and maybe some ruff measurements?

Bob, I too am interested in the slip joint and also the mounting brackets. Could you post some close up pictures of both?
I bought a 88 Dodge Omni rack to use on my 50 Chevy straight axle and would appreciate some details on how you went about developing this set up.
Thanks
Larry

10-1.jpg

Here's the VW Sirocco R & P on a '31 Model A. Follow the steering shaft to the u-joint. On the left end of the joint is a double D shaft. It runs into a double D sleeve. Those two parts make up the slip joint. They move in and out about 1/4" to absorb the motion of the front axle on bumps and holes in the road. The engagement between the 2 parts is around 6" so the stresses are dissipated over a lot of material.
You can see, if you look closely, that the rack is bolted to 1" by 2" .120 wall rectangular tubing that is welded to the I-beam axle The R & P rubber mounts and the associated U-clamps are used. The R & P is positioned where the original tie rod was located.
I have experienced no bump steer or any other bad handling or steering behavior with this set up. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
11-1.jpg

A closer shot. These are the only pics I have & the car is stored where I can't get any good shots.

Check out the Sept. issue of Rod & Custom. They have a tech feature of a rack and pinion going on a dropped axle Model A.:) Sniper

11-1.jpg

A closer shot. These are the only pics I have & the car is stored where I can't get any good shots.

yeah i see,, i thought that would work ,, just needed to see it, the only thing that concrned me was, if you pulled off a uneven surface, where one wheel went up and the other down, i saw a buddy of mine put r&p on him truck, but it looked like it would have travel problems, so I thought why not mount it to the axle and just have a joint just like what i see you have. and driving my old truck i watched the front end travel as i pulled into my drive way and wondered about uneven surfaces, do you have any advice about any possible problems with this! see i live in a county with bad bad roads,, the one in front of my house although paved , would probly be better if it was dirt~~~!!!!!:D it also appears that the uni joints would allow more travel also , is this correct,, i am really wanting to do this on mt 41 truck i just got, THANKS IN ADVANCE !! RTD

Rev, I think the 2 u-joints in the steering shaft compensate for times when there is a lot of front axle tilt. I haven't experienced any problem caused by bad roads or irregulat surfaces and we have plenty of them around here.

hey bob ,, so i started this and did some mock up, what do you think? any changes that i might need to do!! i use the brackets of a 48 ford, the bracket are the shock mounts and spring clamps for the rear axle, cast , very strong and about 1 inche thick, i use grade 8 bolts , and o also use two bolts that are used as jam nut locks against the axle to reduce the risk of side to side movement!

Attachments

• DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back