Radius Rod Mounting need help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projectF1rat

Banned
So i have my radius rods and everything. I just want to make sure that I am setting up everything right. I have the angle finder at 7 degrees. i ground down the top of the king pin so it was flat. i put the frame on jack stands and pulled the wheels off. Question if one side is at 7 degrees do i still need to check the other side or should it be good. also how far out should the mounting be from the frame as far as a spacer. I have attached photos for a better idea of what im trying to do. any info would be great. thanks

Attachments

• 100_3631edited.jpg
    100_3631edited.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_3630edited.jpg
    100_3630edited.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 100_3629edited.jpg
    100_3629edited.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 100_3627edited.jpg
    100_3627edited.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_3622edited.jpg
    100_3622edited.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 86
Your suicide front mount should also be at 7 degrees unless you have adjustable perches......or your spring will be in a bind........

Last edited:
Your caster will increase as you put weight on the front end. It looks like you have some adjustability with those rod ends, so you can fine tune it when the car settles down. It will drop a little fore and aft after the first ride, they always do.

One other thing to be concerned about is to make sure your axles are square to the chassis. You will need to triangulate them and then measure the wheelbase on both sides to make sure you are square. It sounds obvious, but we rushed to build my Son' T bucket to make Turkey Run and we thought we had it square, but when we started measuring we found one side was 9/16 shorter than the other side.:eek: Made for some strange handling problems.

Also recheck your caster and toe in after the car is on the road. Things change and you will want to reset it all.

Don

I believe your spring angle must match your axle caster angle unless you have adjustable perches. If you try to adjust after assembled your spring will be in a bind and quickly wear out your shackles........

Maybe it's the picture, but your rod ends (especially lower left front) appear threaded out way, way too far. You need to have at least what the diameter of the threads are in to the tubing, ie... 1/2"-20 thread should be threaded into the tube 1/2"-that is an absolute bare minimum and is still pushing it. More would be much better. If you don't want to change the overall tube assy length, use a longer piece of tubing.

Maybe it's the picture, but your rod ends (especially lower left front) appear threaded out way, way too far. You need to have at least what the diameter of the threads are in to the tubing, ie... 1/2"-20 thread should be threaded into the tube 1/2"-that is an absolute bare minimum and is still pushing it. More would be much better. If you don't want to change the overall tube assy length, use a longer piece of tubing.

this past weekend i got everything installed. but i did measure out the lower end out to 1/2. check out these pics maybe it will look better.also check out my build thread. thanks for your input:)

Attachments

• 100_3980edited.jpg
    100_3980edited.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_3994edited.jpg
    100_3994edited.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back