Raking A Windshield - Time Consuming

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBlood

Hey guys, I have never chopped a top before, much less rake a windshield back (for a salt-flat look). Its a 37 Ford Chopped 6 inches. My windshield will be about 8 1/2" tall, the door windows will be 8" tall, and I will have an approximate 3" mail slot in the back.

I have 23 hours into the chop already and I see another 10 hours to go at least at my current skill level. I wanted to go for a unique look and it will look great once I am done, but damn this is taking forever. Also, I have never really done body/metal work this extensive before either, so I don't feel too retarded, I am just gettin' ancy to move on to the chassis and suspension.

Has anyone raked a windshield before on a 30's-40's truck? For a first-timer on this sort of thing is the time consumption normal?

Has anyone raked a windshield before on a 30's-40's truck? For a first-timer on this sort of thing is the time consumption normal?

YB,
I did but only chopped 3" because the more u chop the more u have to lean! Let's see some pictures of where u r now!

BoB

We did my '39 Dodge and I forget exactly how much we chopped it , but I'm thinking only like 4 inches. We laid our windshield back too, and the trick is to cut LESS out of the windshield posts because when they lay back it eats up some of the height. If you cut an even amount out of front and back you will end up having to add some of the posts back.

Here are some pictures of us doing ours, hope they help.

Don

Attachments

• dodge top b4 chop.jpg
    dodge top b4 chop.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 74
  • dodge top cut off.jpg
    dodge top cut off.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 67
  • dodge more chop 5.jpg
    dodge more chop 5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 58
  • dodge more chop 6.jpg
    dodge more chop 6.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 82
  • dodge more chop 8.jpg
    dodge more chop 8.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 62
And some more................

Don

Attachments

• dodge more chop 9.jpg
    dodge more chop 9.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 52
  • dodge chop windshield piecut.jpg
    dodge chop windshield piecut.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 58
  • dodge chop front of roof done.jpg
    dodge chop front of roof done.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 50
  • dodge chop w shield post done.jpg
    dodge chop w shield post done.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 54
  • dodge good cab shot after chop.jpg
    dodge good cab shot after chop.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 82
And finally........

Don

Attachments

• dodgechop3002.jpg
    dodgechop3002.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 34
  • dodge good front view after chop.jpg
    dodge good front view after chop.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 50
  • dodge good front view after chop 2.jpg
    dodge good front view after chop 2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 49
  • dodge good rear view after chop.jpg
    dodge good rear view after chop.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 45
  • dodge more work on front end and bed 008.jpg
    dodge more work on front end and bed 008.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 66
Wow Don, that certainly looks much easier than the route I took.

I will be adding some sheetmetal back onto mine once its ready. But the way its coming along looks soooooo bad ass with the 6" chop. The rake really adds the attitude I was originally looking for. I will get pics up closer to completion and maybe do a sticky named 'HOW TO TAKE A MONTH RAKING A WINDSHILED':D

Its been fun though and Ive learned a hell of a lot.

It takes time to do it right. We must of had ours on and off 30 times. We would grind a little off and try it again, then grind some off the other side, repeat, repeat.

Shoot us some pictures, I bet yours looks cool.

Don

I'll tell ya....... both you guys got balls......I would no more attempt to chop that much out of my windshield as seeing the man-in-the-moon.

I've got to give you both props........

An older phone booth body from the 30's - maybe.......but fat fender era stuff " fo-get-a-bout-it!"

Keep us posted.

ratty46

No Ratty, the guys who really have guts are the ones who do cars like '50 Mercs and other cars with all those curves and angles. :eek::eek: I don't think I would ever attempt one of those cars. So much can go wrong and I have seen some really bad chops, and lots of half finished chops.

In fact, the reason I don't do customs is because I HATE BODYWORK with a passion. :D

Don

Let's start a website for those of us who HATE bodywork! It will probably be the biggest hot rod site ever!

Latest posts

Back