....ramblings and paint....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Well, I was at work and decided to use my phone to play some music. Pandora. I started a thread about Pandora awhile back asking about peoples favorite stations. Snake Farm tossed out a few bands, so I looked them up. Not bad music, but generally a little too country and polished for my taste. (N offense SF) I usually like my music with more grit. One of the reasons I like rat rods I guess. Grit. I wonder if I could do a flat black paint job and take it one step farther by adding grit to it? No full on textured paint, but grit kinda like you might find on steps. Maybe a different color base coat since it would obviously wear through? Then I thought maybe paint a base coat, tape off flames, grit paint those, then paint the entire thing flat black? Then dispatch called....

Free time / free thinking

Could be cool. Have you seen the off road truck groups latest thing. Their using bed line for finish paint. They say it's bullet proof. I've only seen it in gloss but I think flat or semi would look better. As for grit, back in the day we used sand or crushed glass mixed with paint on the running boards of our fire apparatus, now it's called non-skid, it did have a look about it. I like the idea of doing the flames.
But, I love the way you car looks now, I wish mine would have had any kind of salvageable paint.:(
If you try it lets us know how it works.
See Ya

Sounds interesting. The paint I mean.....
As far as music goes I don't listen to much anymore due to my profound hearing loss from....Playing in bands since I was 14.:eek:
As well as genetics.
When I did the floors in the boat project I sanded them to make them non skid.
Might work for your flames.
I made a shaker by putting holes in a coffee can with a lid. Put down my first coat of paint and let it dry. Recoated and sprinkled it with blasting sand. Got it as evan as I could. When it was dried I brushed off the excess. Turned out good.
That would be gritty.....
When my daughter and I did her 60 Chevy we used rocker panel chip guard. More like a texture,but not bad. Plus it was just the right amount of flat. It held up fairly well to the weather.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 29
Could be cool. Have you seen the off road truck groups latest thing. Their using bed line for finish paint. They say it's bullet proof. I've only seen it in gloss but I think flat or semi would look better. As for grit, back in the day we used sand or crushed glass mixed with paint on the running boards of our fire apparatus, now it's called non-skid, it did have a look about it. I like the idea of doing the flames.
But, I love the way you car looks now, I wish mine would have had any kind of salvageable paint.:(
If you try it lets us know how it works.
See Ya

I've seen the bedliner done on jacked up trucks for 10+ years, but only ever seen it done it matte finish, black, blue, red, etc. Gloss would be interesting but a bugger to clean.

What about using something like Plasti-dip with sand or something for grit. Then if you don't like it or get tired of it you can just peal it off.

This would be for one of my Model A's or something else. The Olds paint isn't getting touched by me - I love that patina! I thought about undercoat, but think it would look too textured - might work for flames. I was picturing a very light spread of grit, maybe even like 1/4" between grains. Thick for flames or the like. Probably have to be careful or it might turn out looking like someone sprinkled fair dust on your car!

I think the hardest thing would be to get an even coat of grit. I'm sure it would look lousy all blobbed up in places.

...... Snake Farm tossed out a few bands, so I looked them up. Not bad music, but generally a little too country and polished for my taste. (N offense SF) I usually like my music with more grit.

No offense taken Sam........those guys I suggested are a bit twangy at times but I don't really consider them country......when I think of country I think George Straight posing with a guitar and singing a song with 34 words in it and 20 of them are the chorus :rolleyes: McMurtry and Hubbard are more like poets that can finger pick and write songs that have 2 or 3 pages of lyrics. :D

The grit paint idea sounds pretty cool. If you decide to try it I suggest using some kind of plastic grit like this http://www.amazon.com/40202-Non-Skid-Additive-Sealers-Epoxies/dp/B0017IAHX4 We use it a lot in concrete sealer and find it does better on sloped areas than sand which tends to settle and slide down. So the light weight stuff might stand a better chance of staying put on the side of a car.

Oh, here's ya some "Grit and Whine" :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4PjerYj-c

I think the grit idea might end up looking a bit tacky. Though still, there are a ton of things that were said to be stupid or tacky and ended up being great ideas. Go for it!

This would be for one of my Model A's or something else. The Olds paint isn't getting touched by me - I love that patina! I thought about undercoat, but think it would look too textured - might work for flames. I was picturing a very light spread of grit, maybe even like 1/4" between grains. Thick for flames or the like. Probably have to be careful or it might turn out looking like someone sprinkled fair dust on your car!

I think the hardest thing would be to get an even coat of grit. I'm sure it would look lousy all blobbed up in places.

Great, your olds is waaayy Kool [cl

If you bedliner the flames then clearcoat, you can wash n wax the car
Oh wait RatWax the car cause it's not wax

I would stay away from the bedliner (I know you are talking about paint). Once that stuff goes on, nothing will get it off but a sandblaster.

I saw a nice Model A a guy was trying to sell a few years ago. It was generally really cool and alot of money spent on nice vintage parts, but he bedlinered the whole thing and it really looked like crap.

But I guess if you use paint, you can always get it off later. I personally don't think it looks good though.

Latest posts

Back