Ramhorn Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GulfCoastGasser

The crate GM 355 has standard factory exhaust manifolds. I recently picked up a pair of ramhorns for a SBC. I have finally gotten around to making the switch, but I have a couple of questions?

1. The left hand manifold had a "shelf" built into the front port, what is that for?

2. Where can I locate replacement bolts for the manifold to exhaust pipe flange? Also where can I locate bolts to secure it to the block?

3. The right hand manifold came with a spacer where the exhaust pipe ties in, is that needed or can I not use it?

The ramhorns I purchased

ramhornkr4.jpg

My engine with its current exhaust manifold

pb180008xb9.jpg

Ramshorns are excellent manifolds. The shelf is for the generator bracket. The spacer is where a heatriser would go and also requies ceramic biscuits. You can run without the spacer/heatriser but I don't know where you can get shorter bolts.

ramhorns are great old-school parts, but they will not always clear crossmembers and such... might want to look real close..anyway there is also another "type" of ramhorns that were on 67-?? chevy trucks that have a slight bend at the pipe end(both L&R) they cleared on my camaro-framed truck where the straight-dump ones didn't.-- not tryin' to be a know it all just tryin to help:D
HRP

Check your local muffler shop, Speedy, Mineke, or other muffler chainstore will have manifold studs. Not sure who'll have in your area, but the studs should be fairly common. Sniper

If you remove the heat riser assembly from the right side manifold you will notice there is no bevel in the manifold outlet for the sealing "donut". I have cut a bevel to match the left side manifold using a die grinder. Otherwise you will have to use a flat gasket on that side, which will be ok. They just seem to not last as long.

Ram horms are a good manifold to use.Like preacher said,if you have clearance issues the 67-72 pickups had a angle to the flange on L&R to clear crossmember.Rams flow like a header too,I used to use em racin till they made em illegal.You can get nice chrome louvered covers that bolt right on that look good too.

Latest posts

Back