Rare Bird!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
My buddy's friend just bought this rare '57 T-Bird. He said it's a E-Series 2x4. Supposedly only 900 something were made with an auto tranny. Ck these weird lookin carbs... never seen anything like this & ck the kool air filter. This car has only 35K miles & is in the process of being repainted & reassembled

BoB

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 49
  • birdmotor.jpg
    birdmotor.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 31
  • carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 24s.jpg
    24s.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 76
  • cleaner.jpg
    cleaner.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 29
Your buddy has a very desirable (and very expensive) bird there. I was shocked to see what these things are bringing on Barrett Jackson. The 2 x 4 set up is the E code option and very few were made. Only rarer ones are the supercharged versions I think.

What are his plans for it, driver or show car? I almost hate to have these words come out of my mouth, but that car almost needs to be done to a high point standard as it is so darned valuable. I don't like trailer queens, but in some cases the car is just worth too much to not do that.

He really needs to do some research on the car Bob, and I understand one of the premier Father Son T bird restoration teams is right in Texas. They were talking about them on BJ and they said every time this team brings T birds to the auction they are the very best in the country.

Don

Last edited:
Expensive!

Your buddy has a very desirable (and very expensive) bird there. I was shocked to see what these things are bringing on Barrett Jackson. The 2 x 4 set up is the E code option and very few were made. Only rarer ones are the supercharged versions I think.

What are his plans for it, driver or show car? I almost hate to have these words come out of my mouth, but that car almost needs to be done to a high point standard as it is so darned valuable. I don't like trailer queens, but in some cases the car is just worth too much to not do that.

He really needs to do some research on the car Bob, and I understand one of the premier Father Son T bird restoration teams is right in Texas. They were talking about them on BJ and they said every time this team brings T birds to the auction they are the very best in the country.

Don

Don,
I was shocked myself at the price range of this model. He plans to put it back original. Under the hood is all original & has not been touched. Surprisingly... the car has no rust that I could see & the floorboards are totally rust free which is SO unusual for a '57 Ford & a convertible no less. I was told this was a $100K car... a *little* rich for my ratty rusted up blood!

BoB

Don,
I was told this was a $100K car... a *little* rich for my ratty rusted up blood!

BoB

Yeah, I've seen those sell for $100K+ at BJ. Well worth spending the cash and fixing up right. Some cars deserve to be "Trailer Queens" and that is probably one of them. I'd park it right next to my rust buckets. :D

Oh yeah, I don't remember the exact price of the ones on BJ, but it was over $100K. Like I mentioned, I think cars are made to be driven, but every once in a while one comes along that has such great value it would be bad to take it out on the roads.

Unless of course a guy has so much money it wouldn't matter. Jay Leno is a perfect example. He always says he restores a car to 100 point perfection, then drives it until it becomes a 70 point car. But he also makes more money than God.

Your friend really should find that Dad/Son restoration shop in Texas I mentioned, just to run the car past them. He could call BJ and they can tell him the name of the shop. He might find out he has the Hope Diamond sitting in his garage, especially with that low milage and all the pieces from the original car. He is also going to have to lay out a fair amount on the paint work............an Earl Shieb job won't cut it on that car. :D:D

Don

I bought my wife a 57 T-Bird out of California in 2000. The owner said it was a solid 8. I had it shipped to N. C. and when it got here I found out it was a 10. She kept it 6 years and was afraid to drive it and wouldn't let me drive it much. In the 6 years she put about 2500 miles on it. It had never had any rust and never been wrecked. Man that was one pretty car. She finally decided she wanted me to sell it. I took it to a car show in Raleigh and sold it in about 4 hours and got $16,000 more than I paid for it 6 years earlier. I love a deal. The only money I spent on it was a new set of WWW Radial Cokers. It had brand new WWW Bias ply Cokers on it and I practically gave them away. It did drive a lot better with the radials on it. I don't know if BJ would have accepted it but it was close. Harleyboy

In 1966 I needed a car and went to a friends Dad's car lot. I had a choice of a '63 Bonneville convertible for $ 1600, a Jaguar Xk150 (I think that is the correct number) for $ 1100 or a '57 Bird for $ 1200. I bought the Bonneville, and when I see the prices the Birds and Jags are now bringing I could kick my butt. Of course, what are the chances I would have kept either one? The Pontiac is long gone too.

Don

On that note Don, in 1969 I bought a brand new 69 Roadrunner, 383 4 speed. I had it 2 years and put 16000 miles on it and sold it for $875. It was the worst car I have ever owned, but one of the fastest. HB

They really were pretty spartan as far as comfort creatures, weren't they? I know Mopars of that era had the hardest bench seats in the world and the plainest interiors in general.

Bet you would give that $ 875 back in a heartbeat now, huh? :D:D

A guy I knew had a 383 Roadrunner. He took me for a ride one time and got on it. He said "not too impressive huh?" So he climbed under and uncorked the headers........totally different car.

Don

Yes Sir, It was plain Jane. Chrome bumpers and that's about it on the outside. The inside had a bench seat, that wouldn't lock half the time, hand crank windows that would get about half way up and stop and an AM radio. But you are right. I'd love to get it back for $875. Harleyboy

Latest posts

Back