Rat Rod Crossover?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
personally
when i think rat.
i think something that i have to wash up after touching.

I like that definition. When I think Rat I think something without complete floorboards, very little creature comforts in the interior, and unfinished interior, maybe missing portions of the body due to rust, and in some cases the body may be wired to the frame (I say this because I've seen it a scary number of times). The general public (and many car guys) consider any car without shiny paint as a rat. Just because it doesn't have paint, doesn't make a well-built car or truck a rat. That's more just a Patina Hot Rod. But we don't need more classifications to argue about.

I like that definition. When I think Rat I think something without complete floorboards, very little creature comforts in the interior, and unfinished interior, maybe missing portions of the body due to rust, and in some cases the body may be wired to the frame (I say this because I've seen it a scary number of times). The general public (and many car guys) consider any car without shiny paint as a rat. Just because it doesn't have paint, doesn't make a well-built car or truck a rat. That's more just a Patina Hot Rod. But we don't need more classifications to argue about.

Jees, I guess I was driving ratrods in high school and didn't even know it. In about 1969 a neighbor gave me a 54 Dodge convertible that had sat for many years with the top down. It had been de-chromed at some point and some of the lead filler was showing. It was "patina" black and I painted the wheels red. Half of the floorboards were gone and I had the seat baling wired to the frame so it didn't tip over backwards. A pretty cool old hemi car.

My current project is a low budget 66 C10 stepside, but its just in the beginning stage!:(

When I say low budget I mean as I find spare nickels and pop bottles!:D

This thread and the one before "what is my car" sounds like it belongs on HAMB site......slippery slope.

Being serious for a minute what do you mean by this? I see you have been on here a long time and I probably need some schooling. I figured out the attitude behind P.O.R.K. with my first thread and the first post after mine was to jump me for not doing a search going back years on the topic. What am I missing here, it seems like a non confrontational topic. Was there rock throwing in the past? I'm just out to have fun! I saw politics and hurt egos all but destroy a Dodge Sweptline forum I was a founding member on.

Don

Kinda depends on your views of art. Some cars are art the way things fit and flow together. But mismatched parts, plumbing parts, and household garbage can be assembled into art, too. And I think you can even say some are cartoon cars. Lots of those were built in the 60's and 70's by big names like Barris.

I say build what you like, let everyone else put their lables on it. Just have fun, life 's too short to be in a uproar all the time!

Being serious for a minute what do you mean by this? I see you have been on here a long time and I probably need some schooling. I figured out the attitude behind P.O.R.K. with my first thread and the first post after mine was to jump me for not doing a search going back years on the topic. What am I missing here, it seems like a non confrontational topic. Was there rock throwing in the past? I'm just out to have fun! I saw politics and hurt egos all but destroy a Dodge Sweptline forum I was a founding member on.

My point was....when we start judging peoples cars even in fun it opens the door to hurt feelings and it will always go down hill. I'm very out spoken in everyday life, but on the subject of custom cars each person has his own view, and it should be respected. can't say something nice say nothing. only exception is for safety that should always be pointed out as it affects everyone.
HAMB is an example of how nasty judging can become. just this old man's 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back