Rat Rod???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freakdude

So what is the beef that so many seem to have with the term Rat Rod?? I dont get it??? Yes Non traditionally built seems to be the PC term??? WTF?

The term doesn't bother me at all, in fact one night my Son and I were pulling out of a restaurant on Ft Myers beach in our two T's, and a kid who was watching us said "cool rat rods guys!!" We waved because we knew he meant it as a compliment, and that was a term he knew.

But I can also understand how some rodders take offense at it too, especially if they have a painted, fully finished, upholstered hot rod and someone uses that term. I have corrected someone too at times. One guy walked up to our shop door and said "looks like you guys are building a lot of rat rods in there!" I said, no, we are build some HOT RODS in here. I felt that he should be educated on the difference, and I wasn't trying to be testy, I just felt he should know the difference before he says it to someone who REALLY takes offense.

Don't get me wrong, I think rat rods are cool, but I also think they are defined by certain criteria, such as a lack of flash, suede or no paint, maybe some rust, and some one off components. I also think the rat rods that really offended rodders in the early days of the fad are being replaced by ones that are well built and safe, in contrast to some of the "questionable" construction techniques we once saw. (wrenches for steering arms, buggery welds, etc)

Don

Yea, I know the type!

So what is the beef that so many seem to have with the term Rat Rod?? I dont get it??? Yes Non traditionally built seems to be the PC term??? WTF?

Often the term Rat Rod is objected by those with carpel tunnel more than those with busted knuckles! Ha!;)

Often the term Rat Rod is objected by those with carpel tunnel more than those with busted knuckles! Ha!;)

LOL That's just down right funny.

I guess the carpel tunnel comes from shelling out all that money to buy a "toy".....that being the case I'll never get carpel tummel and I'll always have the busted knuckles.

Personally I don't give a rat's behind what someone calls my cars. Some have been rats, some have been painted and polished, but all have been built with safety and reliability as the first consideration....FUN and enjoying the car is the next most important to me...from there....whatever

you know... i never used to mind the term "rat rod", until one day my boss saw my project bel air.... and he goes "ohhh your building one of those rat rods".... man i was soo ****ed the way he talked down to it like if his check writing ass ever built anything better. a lil background info on this guy, hes only into muscle cars, and he thinks ALL cars should be black, and have billet specialty wheels and of course have billet all over the engine. and if you see the junk cars (1st gen camaros) we put together at the shop selling them at 50k a pop with 18s up front and 20inch wheels in the rear with STOCK DRUMS BRAKES!! showing thru!! man atleast spend the extra grand to get disks in the back.....

I have noticed that 2 of the main opponents of the moniker are the "traditional" guys who see the term applied to cartoonish cars that are too extremme for their tastes and quite often built obviously unsafe.
And the others are the guys who put a lot of their time and money into an overdone car just to have the rusty rough look cars steal all their mojo at the gatherings.
It don't bother me much but I love the crusty looking cars and the overdone ones bore me.

My definition of "Rat Rod" allowed me not to have to have perfect body work, use gutter tape as my final floor treatment, use some old road signs for door panels, use beat up old seats I have had in the shop for years, and a bunch of other recycled stuff. It not require me to have a "finished" car. I have owned some pretty cool cars over the years (65 Malibu, 67 GMC short/wide box slammed, 71 Firebird, to name a few) and unless folks are specifically into the kind of car I was driving it didn't get much attention. I get tons of attention in my "Rat Rod". People follow me to parking lots or wave me over to get a closer look. Most people can't figure out what kind of car it is. I am having more fun in my "Rat Rod" that any other car I have had.

The main problem I've noticed are the people that don't like Rat Rods usually have no artistic sense and are what I call "fuddy duddies". They listen to Rush Limbaugh and think tattoes are marks of the devil. The coolest part of rat rodding is trying to solve a problem. If you want to build a '32 Ford Speedstar I'm sure you can buy a manual that tell's you all the parts you need and can be bought brand new. Building a Rat Rod is about taking something that someone is about to send to the crusher, getting a vision of what you want and building it. Along the way you get to personally figure out what will work for your build and what won't, mixing and matching parts and even fabricating mounts and tabs (and grill shells like mine). THERE IS NO SET WAY OF BUILDING ONE AND THE POSSIBLITIES ARE ENDLESS.

I've recently run into problems of me getting bashed by the man who is teaching me... mainly because he's a fuddy duddy that doesn't like anything "wild" or "out there". I just look past it and do what I want, and I know I'll be happy with the end result.

Wow I feel like I just wrote a novel...hehehe

Hey... I have tattoos (I have drawn), listen to Rush, attend church every Sunday I am off work, and built my own car. Does that make me a "rowdy dowdy" intead of a "fuddy duddy" ?
:cool:

Maybe a Mild Child... borderline Wild Child. hehehe

Not bashing those types... they just need to open their minds sometimes. Luckily there are still REAL people like yourself who get it, Cutman. I will say that a lot of Traditionalists who have started a rat rod have loved every bit of them and like Cutman said, most of them say they get more attention in their Rat Rods.

Hey... I have tattoos (I have drawn), listen to Rush, attend church every Sunday I am off work, and built my own car. Does that make me a "rowdy dowdy" intead of a "fuddy duddy" ?
:cool:

Cutman your almost perfect...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................except for that whole republican thing!!:p

Freak you ain't half bad. We can agree to disagree in some areas and know we always agree that "RatRodsRule".

Remember, you heard it here first. My term may bring me fame and forture. Just like when Gore invented the internet!

Rowdy, dowdy!!!

I love my rat rod. I like the term rat rod. I really don't care what the dweebs on the internet want me to call my daily driver. It's still a rat rod to me. I drive it with pride, not because it's expensive or "period correct". It really is all about having fun.

Latest posts

Back