rat roddin newb from wis.! 53 gmc s10 frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joker65

Hi guys,
I heard about this site and how nice and helpful everyone was. I have restored various old vehicles in the past 37 ford pickup, 34 chev chopped sedan, 36 chev pickup & now i am trying something a little more non traditional with my 9 year old son at my side. it's a 53 gmc on 87 s10 frame & keeping the 2.5 4 speed (you probably hate me already!) We have the s10 down to the bare frame and now just cleaning off all the old mounts and checking everything over. The 53 gmc will get the chevy grille cuz I like the look much better. I have the chev hood just need to find a grille and top support. Any of your expertise would be greatly appreciated! For example I want to use the 2wd rear and put the fenderwells from the s10 inside the box, what size rims would work best to fill the fender width & backspacing? thanks guys

Joker65

Welcome to RRR If you are from WIS you will know that RUST never sleeps. Sounds like a very interesting project. The 4 banger.. We all know money is a factor in our builds and its not something that can not be changed later. Heck i am using a flathead 6 in my project. So go for what you have.

52 fordman

Welcome to RRR, joker65. Sounds like a cool project. Even better when you can do one with your son. Rat rodding's all about using what's at hand so, dare to be different with the 4 banger. I see a lot of cool rods with 'em. Now you mentioned the project, you must post pics of it. About the only rule we have here.:D:D

s10

Welcome to RRR, I've seen this swap on several sites. You might want to find a rearend from an S-10 Blazer, Its a bit wider than the truck, unless you want to stuff wider tires under the fenders.... My latest project is a 49 Chev Fleetline 2dr with an S-10 frame under it. I used 8 in wide wheels on the rear with a 2 in backspace to keep my tires from rubbing the wheelwells. Good luck with ur project.

Welcome to the site. Sounds like a good project. Alot of times the s-10 is not the best choice, but there are alot of factors to figure in, so who is to say? This may be a great looking rod when you are done.

hey looks like i will have some company in my project is the same as yours...1953 gmc sitting on top of a 1993/94 s10 frame. right now it still has the 2.5 with the 5 speed. way too many wires for me to keep track of.... gotta 250 cu in 6 cylinder for free...gonna try to make the 250 bolt up to the 5speed...welcome to rrr...lots of very smart folks on this site...

Welcome joker65 and you to Mikec4193...I think using S10 frame with the fat fendered cars and trucks is the best way to build a safe reliable rod. Don't forget progress pictures:D

one more to welcome you to the RRR! this is by far the nicest group of people i know on the 'net.....they are also available to help w/tons of knowledge and experience to help us that haven't done it yet....
i like the idea of puttin the old truck on a newer running gear....you mentioned using a chev hood and grille so i'm gonna assume that you're planning on putting fenders on it too?? anyway looking forward to pics!:D

Yes the people on here are awesome and really give a warm welcome! It will be fendered. I am working on chipping and wire cupping the frame prepping it for por 15. I heard it really works great, I used to always use xo rust but I'm going to try the por 15 this time. I am gonna post some pic's real soon I promise!!! I also located all the parts for changing the gmc front to a chev & some nice glass for the windshield & back window. I have to pick them up tonite.

How do you post the attachments to the bottom of your posts? I'm having difficulties doing this. Thank you.

As I promised, here are some pics of my '53 and my S10 frame. Starting to take body off of '53 tonight. Keep you updated.

DSC01930.jpg

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01920.jpg

Last nite got the front fenders, inner fenders, grille off of the 53. Today I cut the other old body mounts off of s10 frame & removed shocks, gas line, brake lines, etc. Now grind rest of mounts off & got a welding needlepoint from work to descale rest of frame. After watching another build like this using the 2.5L I am seriously considering moving the engine back about 3" to make adequate clearance for the radiator. I think it will prevent alot of headaches down the road, we'll see.

Been busy prepping and painting por 15 on the frame. I did move the motor back 3.25". Cut the frame horns off 1/2" aft of the steering gear box. Soon I will be dismantling rest of the '53. It was my first time using por 15 & my buddy warned me about getting it on my hands. It's true my fingers are black and it appears they will be that way til it wears off! Nothing takes it off.

Attachments

• DSC01949.jpg
    DSC01949.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01951.jpg
    DSC01951.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01952.jpg
    DSC01952.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01934.jpg
    DSC01934.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 18
Last weekend I removed all the sheetmetal from the '53. Removed cab and set it on the s10 frame on top of pcs of 4x4. I bolted the front fenders on to see what the height and wheel placement looked like. Brought home my cab mounts from work tonite. definitely seeing some progress now!

Attachments

• DSC01954.jpg
    DSC01954.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC01956.jpg
    DSC01956.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01960.jpg
    DSC01960.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC01962.jpg
    DSC01962.jpg