Rat Rods and Hot Rods of the future?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barberochris

Years from now what vehicles are going to be the rods that are being built in home garages and cruising around town? The cool cars that are being used today are not going to be around forever. I know that trends change with time but it seems that we are all following the rodding traditions laid down 60 some years ago. So when the traditional vehicles of choice (pre-war detroit iron) are all gone, what are our future generation rodders going to use? Some things that come to mind are 80's and 90's shortbed or stepside trucks, crown vics, caprices, and so on. I would like to hear your opinions about what vehicles you think will be the rods of the future. And also, would these rods be accepted in forums/ groups/ clubs that are comprised of the current tradtional rods (ie. RRR)?

What is happening now is brands and body styles that were not popular years ago are being used. Four door sedans and so-called off brands are being built. One of the reasons there are so many "bobber" style trucks being built is because almost no one wanted those bodies years ago. Older restored cars will be bought from estates and made into rods. The rest of the desireable body styles and brands will be reproduction bodies in steel or fiberglass as are most new builds now. 60 years ago a '48 Plymouth 4 door could not be a hot rod. Even the '35 Ford 2 door with a hot flathead I drove in high school was not considered a hot rod in 1958, at least, not around here. I believe that project cars will continue to be found in barns, garages and basements for many more decades. Unfinished projects that got covered and forgotton by the owners will come out of the woodwork. I can't see any car that is currently a late model becoming a hot rod in the future.

I think early s10's and 70's pickups and anything you can find can be a rod, The old tin is and will be very expensive but you can buy a s10 for 200 bucks anywhere. :)

This line of thinking presumes the cars we are building will go away, they don't, oh a few get wrecked or destroyed by fire but there are probably more 32 Fords running around now than there was at any time since the mid 50s with all the repop bodies. Repop bodies are available for Camero, Mustang, tri5 Cheby, Willys, just about any 30s Ford. The bottom end, budget guys like me will find stuff, yeah pickups but remember a new generation is coming up into a world of $5-$6 gas so that will change the whole dynamic of the hobby and who gets interested. The 60s and 70s pickups are cheap but who can afford a 12 mpg driver? Not many people will bother, they will all get crushed so it will be interesting to see if this is a replay of the 74 oil embargo when guys were trading off cherry tripower goats for a $500 down payment on a Vega.

Years from now what vehicles are going to be the rods that are being built in home garages and cruising around town?

Im getting tons of people with the 70's rides calling my shop for 'hot rod' work. I guess its still OK- I mean 1978 was like 30 years ago... (UGH)

The Muscle cars with less of an attitude is what Im seeing. Nice subtle customization.

Im OK with it. :)

I think things will be very different in 10 years. This gas thing is just the tip of the iceberg and is going to affect us in ways we can't imagine. Not only the cost factor, but the availability and the view the Government is going to take about cars that are gas guzzlers and serve no purpose other than pleasure. If we are allowed to still drive them I bet they find some way to limit that usage or tax us heavily for the privilage.

I'm afraid we are not going to be happy with what we see coming our way. Hate to be negative, but the world is really changing fast with regard to cars.

Don

Well Don, I do mostly agree except I don't see quite the dark cloud. In general terms, this country needs to shift to some kinds of recreation that don't involve massive consumption of motor fuel. We really do need weaned off unless we want to continue to be importing massive amounts of oil. It's time. We will adapt, the real hotrodders will keep hotrodding and the fringe crowd will move on to something else.
I see people staying home, getting to know their neighbors, shopping locally. Maybe the mom and pop stores will make a comeback and the service that we used to have. You know, life in the 60s wasn't all that bad before everyone had a boat, motorhome, jet skiis, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles.

In Europe Hot Rodders (and everyone else) are paying up to $9.00/gal for gas. The hot rod scene is healthy and growing. In fact, lots of rods are going to Europe from America. Our hobby is so big, with doctors, lawyers, cops, government officials, etc. owning rods, customs and muscle cars that I think the political influence of the group will protect the hobby. People will be more likely to buy econoboxes for daily use to save gas than to give up their special interest vehicles.
I do think hot rods will change in the driveline area with modern, high efficiency engines adapted to front engine/rear drive configurations more and more. Someone might even come up with a good looking front drive '32 roadster some day.
While any vehicle can be "hot rodded", and as time goes on, more late model stuff will be used out of necessity, I'm stuck with the old school definition (and N.S.R.A.'s) of 1948and older as being a hot rod. Just because John Force says his Funny Car is a "bad hot rod" doesn't make it one. And, a 1992 Grand Am isn't going to be a hot rod in 2022.

I agree!!!

I agree... things are definitely gonna change! Ok Bonehead... here's u're future!!! :D:D:D

geo.jpg

BoB

I agree, the gas issue is going to change things. I think we will see more cars like GM built that was featured in Hot Rod a few months ago. The "Ethanol Coupe", a turbocharged 4 cyl hot rod that runs on E-85.

I also agree that I don't think the older cars will go away, but we all know as they get more scarce, the prices go up. Not all of us can afford the original pre 50's hot rod cars. This is the reason I think there will be a change to the later model style hot rods and rat rods.

Bear

I thought I would puke at first too! But after I painted it black and got rid of the wheels in my mind, I thought it could be an interesting build. I already have one project, but it has started some ideas flowing for a late model truck build after the Dart is finished.

Here's an interesting one. Can't say that I like it yet, but it is growing on me. I think it is a little better than the s-10 look because it is nt so easily detectable. What do you guys think?

Bear

http://nashville.craigslist.org/car/729672722.html

Look past it. I see a mercury comet I would latch onto.
You know, there are guys building this sort of thing and if they are having fun and it becomes a fad, (price of raw material, yeah it will). I don't want a pink model A Ranger abortion myself but if it's what some kid can build with his talent and resources then good on him, at least he ain't geeking out something good.

Latest posts

Back