Rat truck harness

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetnomad

I am starting my search for a wiring harness that has no more than 8 to 12 circuits. I would like to know which brand seems to be the best bank for the buck as far as ease and features. The names I am familiar with are American autowire,EZ wire, Mr Roadster,Rebel wire, Painless and of course Ron Francis. It would be great if ya'll could give me your input or first hand experiences with any of these. Thanks !!!!

What EnglishBob said, American Autowire is the best kit I've used. I used their Highway 15 kit, you only put in wires for circuits you need so you don't have a bunch of extra wires hanging around. Excellent instructions and very complete, lots of components and connectors, etc. that you don't get with the cheaper kits, even comes with a screwdriver!

Juice

I used a 12 circuit EZ mini fuse on this truck. ZZ is right, Autowire is probably better. I've used it in the past but EZ is small, cheap, and, I think, very well made. I've used Ron Francis...way too expensive. BTW, you'll get a much better price at a show on any of them. Don't buy at a store.

S'me Shakey

wire harness

Check out Rebel wire, glenn33 on here sell's them, he is a great guy, will answer any questions you have, if you get stuck along the way, he can help get you get it straight, plus you will be supporting one of our own people here on this site.

No matter which harness you use, you still need a lot "stuff" to get the job done. Here's some things I found out about the stuff:

Shrink tube: There is 2:1 shrink, 3:1, 3:1 shrink with adhesive and even 4:1.
I have bought the 2:1 at swaps meets but the 3:1 with adhesive is way better. I use uninsulated terminals and the 3:1 shrink with adhesive for a joint that is sealed and won't oxidize or corrode.

Terminals: ring terminals work way better than spade terminals. The spade terminals tend to splay out when tightened in a screw head.

Wire Ties: there are a lot of junk wire ties these days. HF stuff has not strength and becomes brittle and breaks bvery quickly. I got mine from Delcity 9Link below). They are American made and worked great. I used 400, 4" ties and 100 6".

The corragated wire loom comes in different qualities. I had some swap meet stuff that lasted less than 1 year on my Elco that only saw 800 miles and was garaged 9turned to powder). On the other hand, I have some 25 year old OEM stuff that is still in great shape. How do you tell the difference? Don't know, so I don't use it - it's ugly anyhow. I like the asphalt impregnated cloth stuff - It looks more period anyway. Or there is some woven nylon stuff that works like Chinese handcuffs that I like. The best stuff is the split woven loom that Painless sells. It's pricey, but looks good and works well.

Wire: Make sure the harness you get uses crosslinked, not PVC or hook-up wire. GXL is pretty normal (General cross link). SXL has very thick insulation and is most expensive to buy. TXL is the thinnest insulation. Almost all the harnesses use XL wire but check to see.

I googled auto wire and everything else I could think of. I ended up using these guys and was satified with their price, quality and delivery. http://http://www.delcity.net/

No matter which harness you use, you still need a lot "stuff" to get the job done. Here's some things I found out about the stuff:

Shrink tube: There is 2:1 shrink, 3:1, 3:1 shrink with adhesive and even 4:1.
I have bought the 2:1 at swaps meets but the 3:1 with adhesive is way better. I use uninsulated terminals and the 3:1 shrink with adhesive for a joint that is sealed and won't oxidize or corrode.

Terminals: ring terminals work way better than spade terminals. The spade terminals tend to splay out when tightened in a screw head.

Wire Ties: there are a lot of junk wire ties these days. HF stuff has not strength and becomes brittle and breaks bvery quickly. I got mine from Delcity 9Link below). They are American made and worked great. I used 400, 4" ties and 100 6".

The corragated wire loom comes in different qualities. I had some swap meet stuff that lasted less than 1 year on my Elco that only saw 800 miles and was garaged 9turned to powder). On the other hand, I have some 25 year old OEM stuff that is still in great shape. How do you tell the difference? Don't know, so I don't use it - it's ugly anyhow. I like the asphalt impregnated cloth stuff - It looks more period anyway. Or there is some woven nylon stuff that works like Chinese handcuffs that I like. The best stuff is the split woven loom that Painless sells. It's pricey, but looks good and works well.

Wire: Make sure the harness you get uses crosslinked, not PVC or hook-up wire. GXL is pretty normal (General cross link). SXL has very thick insulation and is most expensive to buy. TXL is the thinnest insulation. Almost all the harnesses use XL wire but check to see.

I googled auto wire and everything else I could think of. I ended up using these guys and was satified with their price, quality and delivery. http://http://www.delcity.net/
link does not work

Rebel wire

Ya i have been looking at the rebel harness also and may just go with that instead. It would be kinda nice to support somebody thats into what we are !!!

Latest posts

Back