Ratrod Chicken Coop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustylocke

Well since I am waiting on Speedway to send my parts, my wife has been on me for a chicken coop. Someone gave me this homemade trailer and said, "I hope you can put it to good use." It looks to be a 20s bed and half a frame bent to make a trailer. I think a model A straight axle and wheels. I am sure I will be corrected. I have enough junk laying around that I think I can pull this off.
IMG_3557.jpg

As you can tell it is pretty rough. Perfect for a ratrod chicken coop.
There is a huge plan for this thing but as most my projects it will be unfinished so I guess we will see just how far I will get.
I started with setting our nesting bin in the front, done. Next I made a cage that the cats can't get into. Chill, I have not made the upper part yet so don't tell me the cats can still get in. It needs to be mobile so I plan to make a pulley that will lift the cage just enough to move the trailer around and then put the cage back down.
IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

The plan is to use this old sign for the shed roof.
IMG_3566.jpg

Got to figure out something to use for the front, so it will turn on 3 wheels.
Well that's it for now. Not much to look at. So feel free to chime in on some ideas. I mean really how bad could this be, it's chickens!!!

you should try to find a little bigger wire front wheel and make it look like a trike maybe a front end of a bicycle just a thought[S

For some reason I am on a mission to finish this coop for my wife so I can go back to my truck. Had some major break throughs with the mechanical parts today. Surprising it works!
Some awesome looking fella trying to get everything lined up and worked out.
IMG_4218edited.jpg

Everything working well.
IMG_4243.jpg

Up so we can move it.
IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

Down so the chickens can get to the ground
_MG_4232.jpg

_MG_4227.jpg

That's all for now. Maybe I'll get to finish my frontend on the truck someday.

Just a small update for anyone who cares. I've got the wood panels painted and I have added the front pull/push bar.
IMG_4544.jpg

Scored a boat jack for $23.00. The total build cost is about $42.00
IMG_4550.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

Cool Idea

Ive been spending spring break with my daughter rebuilding her chicken pin. Never thought of adding old iron for flavor. Its cool to see what happens when a rat rodder builds something other than a car. I bet the chickens will make car noises when they lay there eggs.

Ive been spending spring break with my daughter rebuilding her chicken pin. Never thought of adding old iron for flavor. Its cool to see what happens when a rat rodder builds something other than a car. I bet the chickens will make car noises when they lay there eggs.

hahahahaha that's funny

Love it! I'm in the process of building a 4x10 coop/tractor for 25 chicks. Want to slowly increase for egg sales. We also grow gourds for crafts and birdhouses, but are in the infant stage of that as well.
As they say, it's taken me twice as long and about double the money:D It started as a simple design but sprouted into something...Bigger! So much for the one day build I told the Better Half:eek:
Your's is looking Great! Can't wait to see the hens and coop finished.
Later-John T.

Latest posts

Back