Ratty fj40 Land Cruiser clustertruck....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope to hit a trail or two before the snow flies for sure. Man, id be satisfied just to be able to drive it to work about now...

D

Bit more junk off the list. Winch is on, front license plate bracket is made, transfer case nose cone is swapped out to a non cracked one with a new seal (just waitin on a couple braces from a dude on mud to finish reassembly), seats are redone and installed, front ps brake line has been lengthened, the cruiser lean has been somewhat dealt with....

Probably forgettin something. Hopefully gonna drag it to my buddies to get wired today sometime.

D

I know zip about 4x4's and rock crawlers, but hey, you got some really serious fab skills. WOW. I've enjoyed this thread. Thanks for taking the time to film and detail your work. ENJOY. Perley

I probably know less than you lol. Thanks!

Let my buddy pete whos wiring it for me take it for a quick rip with his gf last night and it drove great. Climbed a little 2' ledge beside his driveway in 2wd without issue but I do have to move the bump stops down a little as the shocks get close to bottoming in the front when its flexed out. Might also have an exhaust manifold leak.... oh well ive got all winter to mess with it just wanna drive it a bit for now..

D

Couple pics of the 40 at petes place.

Went for a rip out there yesterday and got both transfer case braces installed, the front drive shaft put back it and the skid put back on. Had to rip out the interior and the gas tank to get at the tranny hump to put the top brace on but 75% of that stuff had to come out anyways to make it easier for pete to wire.

Made up a little gague house the other day as well and threw it on. Holds the temp and oil pressure and fits into the stock ash tray hole with no extra cutting or holes. Dont have a pic of it installed.

D

Thanks, but not quite done yet.

Went out to Petes again yesterday and got some crap done while he was doing his electrical surgery. Mounted the led windshield lights I finally talked myself into buying, extended the transfer case breather vent up to the firewall, swapped out a heater hose that was too short and was in the way of the defrost vent pipe, and probably a bunch of other stuff Im forgetting. Pete was workin on the tail light wiring and he threw on one of his fancy plugs on the rev light switch I forgot to put back in the trans. Threw that on with a generous amount of sealant.

Speaking of fancy, the plugs and pass throughs hes using are all quadruple sealed dealies that are used on heavy equipment, i was freaking impressed to say the least. Good job Pete!

When I built the windshield hinge mounts for the aux lights I made a thick washer out of that self lubricating plastic to use at the pivot. Turns out I can have the mount all tightened up and still pivot the light 180* so they face backwards. Kinda cool to be able to point em on the fly without tools.

D

Randy jumped in with me yesterday and we went out for a rip to Peeties to mess around with the 40 again.

I had bent up my spare transfer case lever couple days ago to get it away from the passengers leg so it got swapped in. Cant really tell without the seats in but it does look to be a lot closer to the trans shifter than it was stock so hopefully it tucks in better and is no longer protruding into the passenger foot well while in the low gears. Peetie made up a fancy pig tail for the trans reverse light switch so that got routed up the passenger side of the trans following the breather hose and the trans tunnel got put back on hopefully for the last time.. The top transfer case brace made contact with the tunnel so that had to be massaged, might still be some contact but Im sure itll self clearance.

Bunch of little stuff got done, we routed the wiring for the 3rd brake light and ran a loom from the back of the van to the front, hooked up the stereo just to test it out and it sounds allright. Probably wouldnt be high enough quality for a serious audiophile but its good enough for me man. Seems like it could use a small sub maybe to round out the sound? We didnt really play with any of the settings so maybe it can be tuned a little. It turns out the mofo does have blueteeth man, had tunes playin all wireless like for a while lol. Installed the wired remote on the dash mounted to the wood under the pull knobs after Randy rerouted the wires so they came out the back of the unit instead of the top, turned out pretty clean and easy to access. Threw an led light in the stoosh box under the ds seat and installed the intake/exhaust manifold washers I made up to try to get rid of a leak. Custom pontiac sunflower fuse box got mounted on the ps inner fender with some mounting studs I threw together, fits pretty mint and is easy to get to. Wires come out pointed right at the 40 pin connector in the firewall to boot.

Pics. Note there may be profanity in the video.

D

Well shes spendin the winter at petes... Oh well he can take his time wiring it. Stopped by yesterday and threw on my beadlocked 40s and man does it ever look sick lol. Just have to tweak the front 6 to 8 nolt adapters and i can put em on permanently.

36" tires

40s

Randy posin lol.

D

Front already has bump stops and I made them adjustable so im good there. The rear might get a set but it all depends if they rub bad. A little rubbing just lets you know youre running the right size tires lol.

D

Great looking machine. I enjoyed following your build.

Looking forward to some action video in the spring.

Thanks guys.

Nah the plow wont be going on it, the whole plow truck thing was just an excuse to buy it lol. Wont be heading out to see it for a while now but hopefully next time im there ill be able to mount all 4 40s without issue. Gotta get workin on the hard top but im doin a bunch of work on my 85 fj60 so thats gotta wait.

D

Couple shots of the 60. Added a tube and some gussets to the front bumper, rebuilt the transfer case, added a couple tubes to the back bumper to tie it in to the frame behind the rear tire, new rear leaf packs/bushings went on and threw some led head lights on it.

Gotta give it some love now that the 40 is close to done since all ive done lately is wheel the **** out of it..

D

Latest posts

Back