Ready for front axle but have problems.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcamp

I started a thread earlier about (Got the front end cut off) and believe me got alot of help. Even talked me into doing it right with an axle from Speedway. BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the axle speedway wants me to use #91339009 and the kingpin set #92032123 won't quite work the way they should for me. My old setup was an early 50's Chevy 3/4 ton truck axle and 30's wire wheels. The whole axle was rebuilt before installation and actually is in great condition but I'm not using it. I want to use my spindles, brakes and wheels. With Speedways setup I'll be just under a degree on the camber, which probably won't work. I believe I have 2 options. One is to have the axle machined to get the degrees right or 2 install the axle, hope it's right and if not have it bent,,,,,I don't think i like that. Any other ideas?

If I read your post right, that axle will not work with your spindles. All the aftermarket axles that use Chevy type spindles are designed for 49-54 CAR spindles, not TRUCK spindles. They may look similar but are totally different in the camber. If you want to use that axle you will need to find the Chevy car parts from the years I listed above.

I found this out the hard way when I was trying to buy 49-54 spindles and brakes on Ebay and kept getting truck setups that people said were for a car.

Don

First off this axle is a tube axle rated at 2,500 lbs. and he said it would be a little under a degree. I did talk to the techs and they were the ones that said the axle and kingpins will work with some machining as in honing the bushings. Then about 10 minutes they called me back and said about the only problem I'm gonna have is the under 1 degree and I can either have the kingpin bosses machined to get the correct degree or have the axle bent. Why did this problem come about? Because I want to use my mid 30's wire wheels on the front. I'm stuck on using em. Now if one of their spindles had the same depth and diameter and would work on this axle,,,,ok. I wonder if I sent them my spindle........just thinking outloud. And I wanted to order what I need before their shipping went up cause now it's only like 7 bucks. HELLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.............

Reread my post............that axle is made for car spindles NOT truck spindles, regardless of what the tech is telling you. If you have the truck and car spindles laying side by side at first glance they look similar, but the inclination is different and so is the spacing between the backing plate mounting holes and the offset. No one I know of makes an axle for the spindles you want to use.

You are trying to put two things together that are not made to work.:rolleyes:

Don

Just buy new spindles & brakes and ditch the obsolete stuff. You are already rebuilding the entire front end to a suitable hot rod application, so why go through all this headache trying to put oddball brakes & spindles on? Sure they may be in good shape but what happens down the road when it is time to start replacing stuff? Trust me, early Ford repro parts are MUCH easier to come by than "well, um, i think they came off this". Take advantage of starting with a clean slate! You are going to pony up for the front end, so save a few more pennies and get the spindles and brakes that will actually WORK. It's a front end, your life depends on it!

Latest posts

Back