Rear Gears

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couper

RRR Supportor
I just got around to checking what my rear gear ratio is. 1 full axle turn give me 3.25 turns on the drive shaft. Is this a decent rear end ratio for my 331 Hemi and 700R4 trans? I suppose I could change the gearing if had to. I'm thinking good for the hwy.....but not so good for smokey burnouts? Or do I have it backwards? BTW first day in the garage.... not much work but some imaginering on s battery box location, ordered my torque converter Hughes 22-24L I think it was.

Want to run this motor and get this frame stripped down for paint or powder coat. Any thoughts on which? Maybe paint the frame but powder coat the front end parts since they are out front and subject to chips

There's nothing wrong with that ratio! 700's have a really low 1st gear & you'll love the cruising speed on the highway! I used to put 2.19 gears in the quickchange in my coupe!

BoB

I suppose I would want to know how tall the rear tires (30+ inches) are going to be.

With tall tires, in OD, with that rear gear, you might see some transmission down shifting when climbing long hills on the Interstate while using a cruise control. The Hemi has enough power, but you might see some trans down shifting and may even drop out of OD for 30 seconds. I wouldn't change the rear gear unless that drives you crazy, but with the Hemi you might not see it either.

Had to put it out there, you know?

I suppose I would want to know how tall the rear tires (30+ inches) are going to be.

With tall tires, in OD, with that rear gear, you might see some transmission down shifting when climbing long hills on the Interstate while using a cruise control. The Hemi has enough power, but you might see some trans down shifting and may even drop out of OD for 30 seconds. I wouldn't change the rear gear unless that drives you crazy, but with the Hemi you might not see it either.

Had to put it out there, you know?

Hi Gene! Those tires are 29" We'll give it a go and if need to will change the gears. I don't think I'm going to be doing any highway driving. But well see.
What have you been up to pal?

Hi Gene! Those tires are 29" We'll give it a go and if need to will change the gears. I don't think I'm going to be doing any highway driving. But well see.
What have you been up to pal?

No highway driving? [S Then what your rear gear.is doesn't matter too much. What type of driving do you plan to do with it.

I run a 392 Hemi, 3.25 gears, 29" tall tires and a 700r4 tranny in my 37 GMC.
I love the combination, as far as smoky burnouts? As long as you want, even after it shifts into 2nd.
The ole Hemi will have all the torque needed for climbing steep hills with no kick-out or kick downs.
In my 40 Pontiac I ran a 455 Poncho with 2.54 gears and a 700r4 and same thing there.
I love both setups.

Although mine is set up a little different from yours, I had some reservations about my rear gears (3.08) too! I believe Old iron and maybe a few other members here mentioned that they wouldn't be a bad deal. I'm glad I went for it. Not bad on any road and smoke em if ya got em at any time...
Mine is 350/350 and gas mileage is only a passing dream!:D

No highway driving? [S Then what your rear gear.is doesn't matter too much. What type of driving do you plan to do with it.

Hey Sno..... I guess I be doing some highway driving. Some how I think this rig is going to be the most uncomfortable thing I ever drove. I have no doubts about it looking cool.....but comfort, I don't think so I hope I'm wrong!

I run a 392 Hemi, 3.25 gears, 29" tall tires and a 700r4 tranny in my 37 GMC.
I love the combination, as far as smoky burnouts? As long as you want, even after it shifts into 2nd.
The ole Hemi will have all the torque needed for climbing steep hills with no kick-out or kick downs.
In my 40 Pontiac I ran a 455 Poncho with 2.54 gears and a 700r4 and same thing there.
I love both setups.

Cool beans OI Good to hear! This is getting me excited!

Although mine is set up a little different from yours, I had some reservations about my rear gears (3.08) too! I believe Old iron and maybe a few other members here mentioned that they wouldn't be a bad deal. I'm glad I went for it. Not bad on any road and smoke em if ya got em at any time...
Mine is 350/350 and gas mileage is only a passing dream!:D

Nice! Good to hear Smalls!

Early cabs are known for being "cramped"! Manufacturers answer was taller seating. Most of us try for the "low" look and wind up taking away some comfort. If you haven't chopped it too much to do it, you can make a little leg room by raising the seat platform...

Early cabs are known for being "cramped"! Manufacturers answer was taller seating. Most of us try for the "low" look and wind up taking away some comfort. If you haven't chopped it too much to do it, you can make a little leg room by raising the seat platform...

Right-on Smalls. I built some platforms for the seats that put my eyes about center of my about 10.5" windshield. I'm far from an interior but I'm building it to fit me..... my son who is 6'1 and 230 can hardly get in ans out of the cab. The back of the seats will have to be a little more straight up than I would like but not enough room to have the backs tilted back. I might be able to find a more suitable bucket seat but liked the look of these and once reupholstered should look cool.

The foot well after the trans tunnel is in place for that 700R does not leave much room for my feet.... Good thing I have small feet!

I'm sure it'll be fine for running to car shows and stuff but won't be taking it cross country!

Attachments

• DSCF5775.jpg
    DSCF5775.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF5977.jpg
    DSCF5977.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF5312.jpg
    DSCF5312.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 13
Since you're gonna reupholster the seats, taking some bulkiness out of the seat backs will give you some leg room.
This seat is in my 37 GMC and is very comfortable.

attachment.php

Hey Sno..... I guess I be doing some highway driving. Some how I think this rig is going to be the most uncomfortable thing I ever drove. I have no doubts about it looking cool.....but comfort, I don't think so I hope I'm wrong!

If you think it's going to be uncomfortable, now is the time to make it more comfortable. The seating position actually looks good to me but the seats are pretty bulky for a small cab old truck.

I find people try to sit too low in this old stuff, my seat is quite high and I find it very comfortable. I can't imagine building something I wouldn't be comfortable driving for several hours at a time, but that's just me.

Nice looking seat OI.

I have to use buckets cause my trans tunnel is too high for a bench. I can make the seat comfortable but can't do anything with the footwell. Maybe I'm just overthinking it. After all the loot I'm spending and the interior I want I'll throw what ever it takes in loot at it to make it as comfortable as I can.

This is what I want!

Attachments

• 12c2f5a86a912216da52937809887c9e.jpg
    12c2f5a86a912216da52937809887c9e.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 9503c1c0cab3b269dfff7ee454793492.jpg
    9503c1c0cab3b269dfff7ee454793492.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back