Rear end for my build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchs66

Hey guys, I bought this a couple of weeks ago and drug it home today. I bought it from a friend that used to build a 4x4 Rangers and put 302's in them, he told me it is a 1992 8.8 with 4.10s and a locker. I stuck the camera under it and took a picture of the tag and couldn't make it out, I will take it off tomorrow and make sure. I get a few more pieces and some time, maybe I can finally start the build. [;)

Attachments

• R Model A 040.jpg
    R Model A 040.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 31
  • R Model A 043.jpg
    R Model A 043.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 27
  • R Model A 045.jpg
    R Model A 045.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 37
Hey guys, I bought this a couple of weeks ago and drug it home today. I bought it from a friend that used to build a 4x4 Rangers and put 302's in them, he told me it is a 1992 8.8 with 4.10s and a locker. I stuck the camera under it and took a picture of the tag and couldn't make it out, I will take it off tomorrow and make sure. I get a few more pieces and some time, maybe I can finally start the build. [;)

I'm not real big into Ford 8.8's, but I remember when I was building my Jeep Wrangler I considered one as an upgrade tot eh Dana35 in the rear. That I understood, the Ranger never came with the stronger 31 spline axleshafts that the Explorer did. If I recall, the Ranger came with 28 or 29 spline which were only marginally better than what came stock on a Jeep Wrangler. Not bad for the right price, though. That generation, Explorers also came with disk brakes, where the Ranger should have drums.

Here's a good link with a LOT of info for ya:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Last edited:
Thanks Coffee Freak, I took the tag off this morning and it is a 3.73 locker which I think is better than the 4.10. I knew a lot of people were looking for Explorer over Ranger and now I see why, but I only plan on running a stock 305 this 28 spline should be fine and probably sounds stupid but with may Econoline front axle I wanted drum brakes.

Thanks Coffee Freak, I took the tag off this morning and it is a 3.73 locker which I think is better than the 4.10. I knew a lot of people were looking for Explorer over Ranger and now I see why, but I only plan on running a stock 305 this 28 spline should be fine and probably sounds stupid but with may Econoline front axle I wanted drum brakes.

Doesn't sound stupid at all. I'm a firm believer in running what you have (or can get cheap). I'm building mine with (of all things) Suzuki Samurai axles simply because I have them in the yard. These are just barely strong enough not to break just by staring at them. I plan on running them in 4WD configuration behind a Super Hurricane Willys inline 6, t90 and dana 18. This rig will be built "all show and no go" as my dad would say. I'm not actually going to "show" it, just drive it and enjoy it.

That is why I'm so interested in Rat Rods. The engine, trany, and front axle were all free from friends or family and I gave $100.00 for the Ranger trailer. Should get some money back when I junk the rest, seemed cheap for a good gear and locker to me.

Build around the parts you can gather....

Or what you have......cheap is good unless it jeapordizes safety.....have fun mitch....pic are good while you're building...[P

Or what you have......cheap is good unless it jeapordizes safety.....have fun mitch....pic are good while you're building...[P

Sage advice right there.:cool:

If you're only running a "Three-Oh-Fried" you should be just fine with the Ranger axle.

Start a build thread once you get going. Everyone here likes pics, especially losers like me who don't have the skills or funds to build something old.;)

Regards,
Shea:)

Thanks Guys. I know everyone has their own ideal of what a Rat Rod is, and the first and most important on mine is safety. Natalie being four and Abigail two months, I want them to be able to go with me when ever and as for the build I'm still just collecting parts. I have most of the big things but haven't had time to start the build yet.

Amen Brother!!!

Thanks Guys. I know everyone has their own ideal of what a Rat Rod is, and the first and most important on mine is safety. Natalie being four and Abigail two months, I want them to be able to go with me when ever and as for the build I'm still just collecting parts. I have most of the big things but haven't had time to start the build yet.

You want the family there to enjoy the ride.....and be safe....[cl

I just found one in some junk cars yesterday and plan to go back after it. It's a 3.73 L (that's limited slip, not locker if you want to split hairs). I'll just save it from the crusher and keep it for a future project. The brakes are puny compared to an Exploder 8.8 I have.

Latest posts

Back