rear end out by 1/2 inch

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankr

The rear end in my buddy's 39 Chev is a bit out of alignment, the driver's side wheel being 1/2" more towards the front of the car than the passenger side. We measured the frame and everything seems to be square and level. Looks like the left spring mount is located 1/4" forward and the right one 1/4" towards the back from factory! One side is shy 1/4" of wheelbase, the other has 1/4" too much. Is this a common problem? The car drives, stops and handles well! should the mounts be moved or leave it alone?
Frankr
1934 Dodge 392 Hemi

I think you'll find that the majorty of cars are somewhere near that far out.

As you say, it doesn't appear to make any difference to the handling and steering, so I'd be inclined to leave it well alone, unless it is a really easy fix.

I would check the center bolt in the springs and see if it has broken or sheared allowing the rearend to walk along the spring a bit. If the spring bolt and spring pad on the rearend still line up and aren't out of whack, you maybe correct with the spring perch/anchor being out of place. If the tire wear is ok, it's not out enough to cause any problems. And if that's the case, I'd leave it alone.:)

I think about all it will do is make your car dog track and maybe corner a bit off one way as compared to the other. I don't know how much 1/2" will show up in the alignment. Probably not visually noticeable.

You're not providing enough information here. The stock '39 Chevy is a torque tube setup, so it's hard to believe the rear is out that much. If not stock then what rear end & suspension is under it?

1/2 inch is pretty much IMO. Did you triangulate the rear to make sure it is really out that far? If it is, I think I would oblong the holes that register on the spring bolt, and slide one side back and the other side forward a quarter inch each and square it up. Then clamp the u bolts down tight so it can't move. While it is true that most factory cars are off a little, 1/2 inch would bother me.

Don

Latest posts

Back