Rear leaf springs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddpowers

Can you guys tell me what the best spring to look for would be? I'm using an 8.8 ford axle, and plan on parralel springs. Looking for a nice ride. Oh, and hoping to stay ford.. (maybe a tall order ?)

More info needed

How much area you have to work with and what kind of ride your building will play a major factor in your options.

Sorry, I shoulda known that. As far as room, I haven't built it yet so should have what ever I need. Weight, I have no idea.
I thought I'd work on the rear section first, so I thought maybe I should be working on finding some springs. Is there something else I need to work on first? This is the first project of this size i'll have done.

Mock up

I would suggest setting your build up for a mock up. Take all the parts ya have and set them up to the proportions you want. Mock up as much as you can. Get the cab at the ride height you want, set tires where you want them, and maybe even set the motor where ya want it. Then just set back and look at it for awhile. Make sure it is how you like it. It's YOUR ride, build it how you want it.

Once you have the look you want you will have to figure out what frame design you want and what suspension will work for you.

You also can spend some time in the build section getting ideas from others.

Hope this helps.

Yes sir, that does help. I just found a front axle today, so i'm getting closser to doing that!. Thanks for every ones help!!

Here is my .02 , parallel springs are old style in cars , much better suited for trucks hauling weight , not known for their ride qualities . Coil overs give a much better ride and are much easier to fit in a bobber style rat rod truck . Also much easier to adjust your ride height with them than parallel springs . Not much of a "cool" factor in a part that won't be seen , but surely will be felt .

Here is my .02 , parallel springs are old style in cars , much better suited for trucks hauling weight , not known for their ride qualities . Coil overs give a much better ride and are much easier to fit in a bobber style rat rod truck . Also much easier to adjust your ride height with them than parallel springs . Not much of a "cool" factor in a part that won't be seen , but surely will be felt .

Well, I'm not sure I'm capable of building the proper 4 link needed for coil overs. Plus I think the expense part, may slow me down some. Its not out of the question, just thinking leaf spring would be a little easier, and cheaper for me.

Well, I'm not sure I'm capable of building the proper 4 link needed for coil overs. Plus I think the expense part, may slow me down some. Its not out of the question, just thinking leaf spring would be a little easier, and cheaper for me.

It may be a little more money but its not hard to build/set up. There is enough helpful people here to walk ya thru any questions.

You can also use a ladder bar style set up. It would be easier to build and still offer a decent ride.

Latest posts

Back