rear radius rods enough?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustycarr

my 27 t coupe has rear radius rods and air shocks, is this enough suspension or do i need more suspension ..like springs? i didnt know if a T , being so light would need it,, i havent picked up the car yet so i am just going off pics..

id say springs or actual airbags and a panhard bar

ive found airshocks cant be trusted to hold up a car alone

unless you talking about the shockwave style of airbag i think thoes are sweet

Attachments

• shockwavepart.jpg
    shockwavepart.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 7
I would STRONGLY suggest that you use a spring or springs in the car. There are people that have used just the air shocks without a spring/s on the rear of a very light car but I personally wouldn't advocate the practice. The air shocks alone are simply not designed to support the weight of a car by themselves, especially under the strain of the force caused by a substantial bump or hole in the road surface. They are designed to assist the spring/s. My suggestion is to spring the car. It will be unsafe otherwise in my opinion.

Like Gas and moto said I would spring the car.

I have built a few cars with hydralics and when a hose or cylinder breaks your kinda screwed,air isint much different.You break a bag,hose or whatever your stuck. thats my .02

Absolutely correct, do not use airshocks as the sole means of support. As mentioned, some people have done it but they are seriously looking for trouble. The studs alone are not meant to support a car by themselves.

If it is suspended this way be very suspect of the rest of the construction as well. The term "Mickey Mouse" is not strong enough to describe using these for suspension. :eek:

Don

would a rear watts system added be enough or would springs still be needed? thanks for all the info guys i appreciate it..

It still is going to need the springs or bags.Watts is nothing but a custom panhard.Lets see a pic of what you have to work with.

Last edited:
havent got the car yet just some photos but not of rear. What about some coilovers in place of the airshocks?

Last edited:
Here is a typical coil over setup on a T bucket, just to show you how it is commonly done.

Don

Attachments

• dons rear axle 004.jpg
    dons rear axle 004.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 23
  • dons t more assembly 002.jpg
    dons t more assembly 002.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back