Rear spring question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

It's been a while since I've posted on here, been busy with moving/setting up new shop, got laid off from job so the truck has been on the back burner.

I just picked up this spring in hopes to use it on my truck. When we cut it loose from the original rear end it sprung in about 6". Can I use this on a banjo rear end that wasn't originally equipped with one of these by welding brackets? Any other info/advice on using this?

Attachments

• DSC00392.JPG
    DSC00392.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 19
Come on I know somebody has some info/advice on using this spring (Blue Eyed Devil?) somebody. Did I screw up by not getting the whole rear end that this was on? That rear end had a torque tube and mine is open drive shaft so I wanted to keep mine. I need to know some options on mounting it both to the rear end and the frame.

Don't see why not

If you are just wanting to know if you can mount it
To a banjo rear then the answer is yes as long as you have clearence and with enough thinking and some planning you could make it work. We mounted on of those buggy springs on a s10 blazer rear with discbrakes. Speed way , and alot of company's sale the brackets and shackles

Sorry hadn't seen this until now. It won't be a problem mounting it on your axle. Brackets are available from Speedway to do it in either a spring over or a spring behind configuration and they are pretty cheap. Did you get a measurement on the centers of the original spring perches before you cut it loose? It makes it a whole lot easier when placing brackets on a different axle.

Thanks guys, I knew BED would know something about them. & know I did not measure before cutting them loose, never even gave it a thought but I should be able to get them close as I remember where they were positioned on the old rear end.

Next question would be where to mount it, over the rear end or behind & why?
I'm thinking behind because it seems it would be easier to lower the ride. Then what else do I need for mounting the whole rear end assembly to keep it from rolling or twisting?

Behind or on top will depend on where the frame crossmember is in relation to the wheelbase you want to achieve.
I presonally love the look of spring behind plus as you say that way can mean a lower stance.

Rpms are behind

You might be able to reverse them and run spring I front if you felt the need not sure why. Rpms is good stuff and he
Does custom parts if you wanted to spice it up. Also he gives 10% off every time you mention him. Right Ron eh ? Haha! Jk
Your shackles should start at flat horizontal and go to about 45deg went loaded with weight. Mount it all together and go from there

spring position

not sure but wouldnt you need some kind of wish bone or four link to keep the rear end in place , and perhaps a panhard bar to keep things from moving side to side :D

Latest posts

Back