Rear Suspension Help/Advice Needed (What Leafs)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRON MAIDEN

1946' International Harvester K3 Longbed. I have the frame stripped down and have been sanding it to bare metal then treating with Ospho to stop the rust. It will be painted once I have the rear boxed and my motor mount and transmission mount crossmembers in. I was just given a rearend for my project from a friend who owns a towing business and has a yard I can scrounge from. It's a 95' Ford Explorer 8.8 rear with disc brakes. My question is what rear suspension? I'm gonna roll the front with a 48-52 Ford F1 4" dropped axle with a disc brake kit on it. The stock F1 axle already has more drop on it than the original axle that came in my truck. So between that, the 4" of extra drop with the axle, and putting mags on it..... my front should sit pretty low. i don't expect it to be in the weeds, but it should still sit good. So now I need help with the rear. I won't carry any loads in the bed of the truck. I'm gonna have a nice wood floored bed so nothing going in it to scratch it. Should I go with a small 2wd truck leaf like a Ranger or S10? Should I go with leafs out of a passenger car? Not sure what to go with.
And where do I find the leaf/shackle mounts that I will bolt to the rear of my frame? The front (dead mans perch?) and the rear shackle hangers.
Any ideas on what I should do? I want to be able to get the leafs mounted up and have the rearend snugged up by the U bolts so I can roll my chassis around. I will finish the rear once I have the motor and tranny in place with the new front dropped axle so I can get the rear ride height set and then dial in the pinion angle on the rear.
Any thoughts?

You didn't mention using the original rear springs and mounts so they must not be available. But whatever you use you will have the scavenge the complete rear suspension. I whould suggest the springs off the Ford explorer first, second suggestion would be an aftermarket kit like what Posie sells for early Fords, that way you get all the parts for the install and they will be new...[P

My truck is a K3(1Ton) and has monstrous rear springs with the overload springs that sit up on top of the axle. Plus the hangers and such would all need to be rebuilt. I'm already having to have the front mounts fixed. Everything is ovaled out. I have a set of K1(1/2 Ton) front springs that I'm putting in to soften up the front a bit but for sure need different springs in the back. I will look at the Explorer springs as i will get them for free. Wasn't sure if the arch in them will have me riding too high back there. I was thinking of the 2wd Ranger springs because they ride pretty low. Then use blocks from there to adjust. I guess it will depend on what I can get. I'm more concerned on the parts that bolt/rivet/weld to the frame to mount the springs to. Hopefully I can strip the Explorer of those too.

Going to use the Explorer springs. Was just trying to figure out the hangers.
Went with these. Got from a local place. Ruff Stuff Specialties
Still figuring out how I'm going about fixing the front. I've got a couple ideas.

IMG_20101015_115157.jpg

Latest posts

Back