rear suspension ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willierat

Think I would like to have a triangulated four bar rear suspension. Would this work ok with the short bed I plan to run( maybe 48 to 54 in from cab to tailgate)? Also would this be the cheapest way? I'm open to anything as long as it will drive decent and I would like to "Dawg it" everyonce in awhile. Any pics would be appreciated!

Think I would like to have a triangulated four bar rear suspension. Would this work ok with the short bed I plan to run( maybe 48 to 54 in from cab to tailgate)? Also would this be the cheapest way? I'm open to anything as long as it will drive decent and I would like to "Dawg it" everyonce in awhile. Any pics would be appreciated!

4 link triangulated is a good way to go. There are kits out there that come with everything that you need. One thing to keep in mind is the shorter the bars the rougher the ride. Also make sure to keep the top bar at about 70% the lenght of the bottom bar if you make your own kit. Poly bushings all the way around.

Here is the kit that I used: http://www.welderseries.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_70&products_id=507

Last edited:
I had a three bar setup under my 39 Dodge pickup and am probably going to use the same setup under my 29 rpu. It comes from Suicide Doors and basically is two round bars at the bottom and one wishbone shaped bar at the top. I am using an S10 rear and they make a plate that goes between the rear cover and the housing which eliminates the need to weld brackets on the top of the housing.

Just thought I would toss that one out there as it allows for a very short distance between the rear end and the back of the body.

Don

From this view you can see how the top wishbone mounts and locates the top of the axle. This shape also limits side to side movement.

dodge3linkrear2.jpg

Here you can see the whole setup in place.

dodge3linkrear.jpg

In this shot you can see how the lower bars attach to the axle and that plate that goes between the rear cover and the housing.

dodge3linkrear3.jpg

And this is how the bottom bars attach to the frame.

dodge3linkrear4.jpg

Here's mine. I used heim joints as the roads are so abysmal over here that I didn't want any bind like you get with poly bushes.

2f07b9cc.jpg

736a0d37.jpg

goot weldz

Make sure you get lots of metal piled up on the weld, don't be stingy just slop it all on there good and thick...butter it around a little to make it pretty
bad-weld-01a08.gif

shock/coilovers

throw an add on craigslist and if there is a swap meet, go look there, talk to fellow hotrodders in the area or local car clubs, never know what someone has sittn' around thats not ever gonna be used.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/2206421446.html, these are for an RSX but they look just like the ones on my 35 coupe art morrison chassis.

look on craigslist or e Bay for someone who lost interest or has to sell due to hardship.

don't like to profit off of someone elses misery, but better than the stuff going to the trash or just sittn' and rotting away.

Later:cool:

Last edited:
I had a three bar setup under my 39 Dodge pickup and am probably going to use the same setup under my 29 rpu. It comes from Suicide Doors and basically is two round bars at the bottom and one wishbone shaped bar at the top. I am using an S10 rear and they make a plate that goes between the rear cover and the housing which eliminates the need to weld brackets on the top of the housing.

Just thought I would toss that one out there as it allows for a very short distance between the rear end and the back of the body.

Don

From this view you can see how the top wishbone mounts and locates the top of the axle. This shape also limits side to side movement.

dodge3linkrear2.jpg

Here you can see the whole setup in place.

dodge3linkrear.jpg

In this shot you can see how the lower bars attach to the axle and that plate that goes between the rear cover and the housing.

dodge3linkrear3.jpg

And this is how the bottom bars attach to the frame.

dodge3linkrear4.jpg
How much HP/Torque will this 3 bar setup handle?

If you want simple and cheap, you can't beat parallel leafs. I used springs from a Suzuki Samarai. Two inches wide and about 40" long loaded. Fits well under my 54" bed.

If you want simple and cheap, you can't beat parallel leafs. I used springs from a Suzuki Samarai. Two inches wide and about 40" long loaded. Fits well under my 54" bed.

Best way to go , you could add strong , dependable , good ride , Idea has been in use forever . Almost no way to screw it up , and nobody but you knows what you used .

Latest posts

Back