rear track wider than front ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyotb8

Hey guys, In planning for my pickup hot rod, I find that the rear axle track width I plan to use is 61 1/2". As best I can tell the axle kit I plan to get from Speedway is about 56 1/4" track width. ( I'm talking hub to hub ). Since I've never put anything together like this before, Is that going to be a problem ? The rear hub to hub will be 5 1/4" wider than the front. It may look cool, but any issues with cornering or the like ? Anyone's input is greatly appreciated !

BTW it's a 39 Plymouth pickup, no fenders. 116" wheelbase.

Thanks for the advice, Just wondering...Hate to build it and have to find a narrower rear later. It will be all mopar...well except for the speedway front parts. The old front springs were broken, welded, etc. I can get the whole assy. from speedway for less than new springs cost ! Thanks again.

I dont have any problems that Ive noticed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• back4.jpg
    back4.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 100
very cool !

Hey Sneaky, Great truck. That's very close to the way I want mine to look ! What size wheels and tires are you running ? Killer look !

Girls are built like that and they run fine and look good

Girls are built like that and they run fine and look good

Yes they are.........ideally. :p

I don't think you'll have any trouble with the back being wider. The rear track on my Willys is a foot wider than the front. All the older dual wheel trucks had the fronts tracking with the inside duals .................I tooled this one around for about 10 years with no problems but top speed was about 52 MPH. :D

dads39Small_zpsb452479a.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the one ton dually pickups are still like that....and there's plenty of them zipping up and down the highway at 70+

Dually !!!

Hey thanks Snake Farm, I never thought of the dually comparison. That's right, they all have what looks like the inside rear in line with the front ! My 2 1/2" wider on each side should be no big deal. I appreciate all the input from everyone on this site. [cl

Latest posts

Back