Rear transverse spring

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gacannon

28 ford PU, 302 V8, C4, 8" ford rear end, Model A boxed frame stock.

Speedway 4" drop front tubular axle spring over axle.

rear spring low profile high arch from Speedway.

Engine mounted now. Simulated weight added to frame to get ride height. Looks like the rear of the frame will be level with front or low.

Any suggestions to get a little more resistance on the rear suspension to keep the frame up in the rear. Coil over shocks probably too much. Don't need much, but need more than I have. Don't know where I could get another leaf for such a spring with its high arch. Running lower profile tires on the front already and can get about 1/2 more inch on rear tire size.

Shackle's on rear leaf at 45 deg with load, but frame level to low in back. I am sure it will settle lower over time. Need more resistance to keep it higher at full loading. Body channeled 6" and want bed as low as I can get with this setup. Higher spring will go the wrong way. Just wish I could add something to boost it just a little.

any suggestions?

Bob in Ga

Maybe a spacer between the top of the spring and the perch. I've had to do that occassionally to tune the height. Post some pictures of what you have in that area and the whole setup.

Don

If you add leafs or coil overs you will make the ride even harder than what the high arch spring would give, which is usually very rough. If a spacer like Don suggests won't raise it enough you will have to modify the rear crossmember mount area to get the lift you want, Since it sounds like this is still a project now is the time to do it.

2457709Web1000871.jpg

Frame as it is today.

Looks real good, nice job on the build. Form the picture it looks like you have a standard eye front spring, can't be sure from the pic. You could get another 1in or maybe 1 & 1/2 down in front with a reverse eye main leaf for that spring.

rear height

How about using some old coil over motorcycle shocks they will add a little help holding the rear up, but not too much. cheap on ebay, gabrial use to make a helper shock for the old vw bugs, it was a shock with a spring on the outside.

Latest posts

Back