ReBorn Old School From Ohio

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

I was happy to have found this website for Rat Rods or Hot Rods as we used to call them .

I've been involved with cars in one way or another since the age of 14 . I've built hot rods in the driveway , drag raced , played with dirt cars and still am involved in off roading .

I plan on retiring in two years . Durring those two years I want to build another hot rod . I should say Old School Hot Rod or as they are refered to now , Rat Rod . Upon retirement I want to travel across old Route 66 in that build .

So far I nothing as far as drivetrain , but from off roading I have an old VW body shell sitting in the field . I have been eye balling it as a candidate for the Hot Rod project . If cut approx 8'' behind the door , it seems the body would serve weel for a roadster pickup body. By adding cab roof corners from a early 50's pickup, it could also serve as a chopped top pickup . Whatdayathink ?

I have square tubbing and a small fab shop and plan on building my own chassis . OK , Question here . I have a VW front axle beam in perfect condition . I'd like to know if it would be strong enough to support either a Chevy inline 6 cylinder or a smallblock V8 ? If so , it will eliminate a lot of bump steer experimenting .

I'm looking forward to being an active member of the hot rod community once again .

Thx ,
Gonzo

Welcome to the site. I have seen those front axles holding up a v8, but I have no idea if they crack out with time. The do seem to be pretty strong.

Latest posts

Back