Registering a scratch built Rat Rod in Calif

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat-on

I would like some input from you Calif Rodders, please. I know the hard way to register a custom build, such as be one of the first 500 applicants after Jan 1st at DMV, etc., but how about just getting an old title from a pre 75 car and do it that way? How far is it too custom to use an old registation title to make it look legal? My rat roadster is scratch built and I have been pondering using an old Volkswagen title like the dune buggy guys do and see how long it will fly before some cop gets wise. Am I asking for trouble?

I would like some input from you Calif Rodders, please. I know the hard way to register a custom build, such as be one of the first 500 applicants after Jan 1st at DMV, etc., but how about just getting an old title from a pre 75 car and do it that way? How far is it too custom to use an old registation title to make it look legal? My rat roadster is scratch built and I have been pondering using an old Volkswagen title like the dune buggy guys do and see how long it will fly before some cop gets wise. Am I asking for trouble?

Well, you DO know that's illegal right? It's also a good way to lose your car, get in big trouble, give hot rodders a bad name and make it harder for people in this hobby who do things in a legitimate manner. Just do it the RIGHT way and save yourself and the rest of the rodding community a lot of headache...

but how about just getting an old title from a pre 75 car and do it that way?

It's called fraud. "Licenses and registration,please. The regestration says it's a Volkswagon. It doesn't really look like a VW to me" says Mr. CHP as you're sitting in the back of a patrol car watching your car being towed to a local impound.

That's the type of crap that caused the CHP and DMV to start cracking down on hot rodders. Do it right or don't do it at all.

april street rodder mag on paige 118 they talk about the registering of rods in california and they are going to out of state paper sellers than looking for californians that used them for prosecution ouch

april street rodder mag on paige 118 they talk about the registering of rods in california and they are going to out of state paper sellers than looking for californians that used them for prosecution ouch

wait, they are registering the rods in another state and bringing the paperwork into California; then getting in trouble for that? i dont see why that would be illegal unless they are not going to get the rods re-registered in California once they have the registration from the other state.

wait, they are registering the rods in another state and bringing the paperwork into California; then getting in trouble for that? i dont see why that would be illegal unless they are not going to get the rods re-registered in California once they have the registration from the other state.
Because other states aren't as careful as some. For example, Florida allows tinted drivers windows. However, the CHP put out a memo saying that even though other states may allow somethings, such as 1 license plate or tinted windows, in California, it is illegal and they can be cited. It doesn't mean it has to corrected. It just means a $50 fine for operating the vehicle in California.
Some people have tried to get around California laws by registering their vehicles in other states. So California law says the drivers license and registration must match the state you pay your taxes to.

wait, they are registering the rods in another state and bringing the paperwork into California

What they were after was Cal residents using out of state title companies (Broadway Title, etc.) to register cars with no titles or reconstructed vehicles. Like fiberglass cars. Or what Cal considers reconstructed vehicles. An original Model A with an aftermarket or home built frame is considered a reconstructed vehicle. It's all about the money.

If its scratch built. You are going to need to get into the 500 lottery in January. There really is no way around it. Unless you want you model A to be registered as a VW.

OH OK. i understand that now. i thought that sounded a little fishy to me. I can see why Cali would get angry if people were to do that.

Last edited:
Two years ago I bought a 29 nash with a bill of sale so off to the dmv give the nice lady $45 clams take my plates and fourm. I gets home and call the state patrol and twenty minits later its inspeted and he fills out the fourm . Take the fourm back the same day and wait about seven weeks and here it is........................

Sorry if this is a hi-jack of this thread, but I have another question about this exact topic:

I know the ignorance claim doesn't work now, but at the time I bought the car, I really had no idea that this would be a problem, since it had a title, plates and clean VIN and seller told me it wasn't a big deal to register (and this was my first build)

I bought a "'47 ford pickup" that was highly modified - turned into a roadster, channeled, custom frame, dodge V* & trans, etc.

Title said '47 ford, the plates match the title, I completed all the paperwork and paid my sales tax, got insurance and it's now legally registered with the state with plates, stickers and all.

I obviously now know that I may run into problems without a VIN stamped on the frame or body anywhere if I get pulled over, but I am not sure what to do.

I know now that I screwed up big time, and I want to make it right so I called the CHP, and they told my I was fine, and everyone else I talk to says to stamp the VIN into the frame, which I definitely don't want to do.

Tried to work it out with the PO, and he is a total jackass, and said when he sold it he meant for me to register it SPCNS, but if that was the case, why would he have sold it to me by transferring the title and told me to just take it off PNO, no problems.

So, he basically dumped his problem off on me (for alot of money), and I am stuck with it, and probable legal problems when I try to drive it.

I am waaay too deep to just write this thing off, I an having a kid in August and totally running out of space to "start over" with a donor car and I can't really sell it or I am as big of a jerk as the guy that took advantage of me...

It's really killing me actually... Any thoughts?

If its scratch built. You are going to need to get into the 500 lottery in January. There really is no way around it.

There's a bill working it's way through now to raise the number to 750. They tried to push through a bill to remove the limit but, naturally, it failed. But 750 is a start. There's a thread about it on the HAMB.

Two years ago I bought a 29 nash with a bill of sale so off to the dmv give the nice lady $45 clams take my plates and fourm. I gets home and call the state patrol and twenty minits later its inspeted and he fills out the fourm . Take the fourm back the same day and wait about seven weeks and here it is........................

Your input was ok ,But thats not how it works here. He is trying to reg a car in Ca. Not Wa.

There's a bill working it's way through now to raise the number to 750. They tried to push through a bill to remove the limit but, naturally, it failed. But 750 is a start. There's a thread about it on the HAMB.

If you have one that needs to be scratch built reged. Get in In Jan. For the first 500. Dont wait. As the laws change here much too frequently to even be able to keep up.

I agree, that's what I would have done if I had known at the time i Never would have transferred the title into my name when I bought it, paid taxes and legally registered it, but I now have it registered in my name and everything...

I don't think I can just "unregister" it and then call it "scratch built"?

Sorry if this is a hi-jack of this thread, but I have another question about this exact topic:

I know the ignorance claim doesn't work now, but at the time I bought the car, I really had no idea that this would be a problem, since it had a title, plates and clean VIN and seller told me it wasn't a big deal to register (and this was my first build)

I bought a "'47 ford pickup" that was highly modified - turned into a roadster, channeled, custom frame, dodge V* & trans, etc.

Title said '47 ford, the plates match the title, I completed all the paperwork and paid my sales tax, got insurance and it's now legally registered with the state with plates, stickers and all.

I obviously now know that I may run into problems without a VIN stamped on the frame or body anywhere if I get pulled over, but I am not sure what to do.

I know now that I screwed up big time, and I want to make it right so I called the CHP, and they told my I was fine, and everyone else I talk to says to stamp the VIN into the frame, which I definitely don't want to do.

Tried to work it out with the PO, and he is a total jackass, and said when he sold it he meant for me to register it SPCNS, but if that was the case, why would he have sold it to me by transferring the title and told me to just take it off PNO, no problems.

So, he basically dumped his problem off on me (for alot of money), and I am stuck with it, and probable legal problems when I try to drive it.

I am waaay too deep to just write this thing off, I an having a kid in August and totally running out of space to "start over" with a donor car and I can't really sell it or I am as big of a jerk as the guy that took advantage of me...

It's really killing me actually... Any thoughts?

I truly think this is much ado about nothing! If there was an issue (and at the current time, there's not) it would be with the DMV, not the officer who pulls you over. The PD can question the legality but the decision ultimately rests with the DMV, not the police. The DMV has properly registered your vehicle. It's not up to the PD to say they're wrong!

If I were you I'd carry copies of all paperwork with you at all times. Also, have a ready made story for when he asks you to see the VIN. Tell him it's a custom '47 Ford. The body has been channeled and moved aft and consequently, the VIN is underneath the body! Worst case scenario is, at some point you may have to register it as a SPCNS. However, the chances are slim and none. Just don't attract attention by driving like a maniac and concentrate your thoughts on more positive things!

Luke 12:25 - "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

Evintho: I would like to believe that as well, and that is ultimately where I have tried to get myself mentally, but every once in a while when I read a thread like this, I get discouraged from putting another cent or minute into getting on the road.

And it makes me really mad that the PO really got one over on me and knowingly put me in a crappy situation for his profit, because I didn't know better.

I guess I just need to stick to my guns, finish the thing, and drive it until they confiscate it and if that just happens I'll deal with it, "new guy" lesson learned and be more careful next time.

I guess that's better than stamping the VIN on the frame and going to Jail...

DMV screws up all the time, especially since they haven't seen the car, but used your paperwork to register the car. In California, any police officer can inspect your car on demand (as driving is a priviledge, not a right) and if no vin numbers are found, can impound your car. The car would have to be inspected by the CHP and a vin number assigned and applied by them. Vin plates take special rivets so the O.O. can tell if it was owner applied. Possession of those rivets is a felony.

Latest posts

Back