Removing ewngine, spindles & control arms

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

Removing engine, spindles & control arms

1) I need to pull the engine and transmission in my 37 Buick and have heard that the front springs will extend so far that it is difficult to lift engine over frame. Has anyone ever strapped, or used a spring compressor to prevent this lift?
2) Alternatively I was told I could replace springs with blocks of wood first. I have a "Motors" book that gives basics or spring removal. Does anyone know how high I would need to put car on blocks in order to swing lower control arms down for spring removal?
Thanks

Last edited:
I don't recommend that you try to remove the springs. The very heavy Buick has very strong springs so trying to remove them is dangerous. I would suggest you remove the front sheet metal, fenders and grille so you don't have to lift the engine real high.

After you get the motor loose let the air out of the tires,that will compensate for the springs expansion.

Thanks for all your advice.
I have all the sheetmetal removed. I've been putting off pulling the engine & thansmission until I had a place to ship it because my garage is getting a little crowded.
1) Does anyone happen to know the lift points on a 320 straight eight?
2) What would the the minimum accessories I should take off before pulling?
Thanks

Let us know how it works out to ship the engine, transmission and rear end. I've never been able to market that kind of stuff because shipping was too costly from here. I end up just hauling that kind of stuff for scrap. I've probably hauled 20 babbit pounder chevys and several that were good running engines.

Latest posts

Back