Removing & reinstalling distributor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I'm pulling the engine out of my 37 Buick and was told it's a good idea to remove the distributor before lifting engine out since they are expensive.
The engine has not started in 50 years, but I want to make it as easy as possible for the next owner of the engine to get it running.
1) If I mark where it is located on the block will I be able to reinstall in same place and have everything OK.
Thanks

The bigger problem is probably the fact it hasn't started in 50 yrs... You'll have to mark the rotor placement inside and a spot on the outside.

Kurt

check the valves, both closed, #1 piston at TDC, that #1firing position, then mark rotor location ref. the edge of the dist. and outside ref. to the block. Also put a rag in the hole so you don't drop any thing in the engine.
Hope this helps. [S

Does the engine still turn or is it stuck? Do you already have a buyer? I might be able to put you with one if you haven't sold it. No leads yet but I get around a lot of restorers and could put some feelers out for you. Have you pulled the head and oil pan to see if it's rebuildable? Most serious buyers will want to make sure they aren't just paying for a lump of iron. How about shipping? Have you checked with any truck freight services to get an idea on shipping charges?

Latest posts

Back