Repairable?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SapperJoe

I posted another question pertaining to this car and the area in question, however I want to know if this is repairable or if I'm going to have redo the entire front. The rusting crack is on the driver's side, and the coil is broken as well. I figured maybe it broke and cracked it, expediting the rusting process. The area around the crack is pretty solid, as I hit it with a hammer repeatedly and it wasn't soft at all.
The other is the front cross-member. Another member on here posted a build of a 49 Plymouth with a similar issue and how he fixed it, but mine looks worse. The suspension parts themselves look fine, and the only serious rust is the cross-member. I hit it with a hammer too and what you see is pretty much the extent of the extreme rust. It seems pretty solid inches above the holes. So my question is: Is this fixable? The frame is in amazing shape throughout the rest of the car and I want to get by with the least amount of work I have to do while still making it safe (for example, i dont want to replace the whole suspension and front frame area if a simple cut and replace would work). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Wow... Can't believe I forgot the pictures...

Attachments

• 100_1045.jpg
    100_1045.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_1040.jpg
    100_1040.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 85
Sure it can be repaired, BUT you've got some pretty extensive damage, and it won't be easy if you don't have good fabrication skills. That front crossmember looks like it's dangling the A-arms in the wind. Am I seeing that right?

Anyhow, you can piece it back together if you cut all the rust out and replace it. Again, good fab skills and EXCELLENT welding is necessary when you do frame, steering and suspension work.

Got any more pics? Some more views of the damage would help decide a plan of attack.

Rainman's right, however if you're wanting to do all the work, pull the engine if you have too to get to all the areas, then strip the entire suspension off the car, make patterns, write down measurements, of the areas you're goin to replace and start cutting the rust out.
The lower a-arms have a specific place they go or it won't drive worth a hoot this is why I said, take measurements and make patterns.

I'm just trying to explore my options. This stupid NW snow storm is stalling progress. I was going to do some measurements on my pinto today, but that will have to wait. So I am leaning towards that (the pinto front) but am unsure what all it entails. I'm sure I could find some good threads on here, but do those front ends go in as a solid unit, or is each side separate?

If you choose to fix it, when in doubt, over-build it.

I would agree though, for the amount of work it's going to take, it might be better to clip it. You will then have disk brakes and access to aftermarket parts like dropped spindles & springs.

I had a '50 plymouth and one of my biggest complaints was that I couldn't get the front end low enough with the stock suspension. I had it sitting on the bumpstops and it still wasnt very low.

I agree with the masses....

clip it...unless you were planning on a full off resto...better brakes and all the other things mentioned....JMHO....

I wouldn't fix that crossmember, to many high stress supension points rotted out. If you want to use this frame, I would look into another crossmember from a donor car.Remove the front sheet metal, front supension, and engine.Place the car on four jack stands, and level front to back and side to side. Make sure the frame is straight and square,and weld in some temporary bracing to hold the frame square. Grind the old rivits out and remove the old crossmember. Bolt the new one in using the rivit holes, then weld it in just to be safe. Cut the bracing out and your good to go.

Clipping the car is another good idea, since it gives you newer supention, disc brakes, and better steering. Not to mention that you can stop at any parts store if some thing should happen on a road trip.The down side is you will have to fab. all your fender, and radiator moints.

Neither one is going to be the easiest thing in the world, but if Hot Rods were easy everyone would do it.

clip it...unless you were planning on a full off resto...better brakes and all the other things mentioned....JMHO....

It's a cost effective way to update. What kind of shape is that Pinto in? I buy stuff from these guys all the time, just a suggestion. Keep in mind that Pinto cross member has to cut out, pieced out, trimmed and re-installed. The material thickness won't be as thick either. http://www.welderseries.com/blog/online-store/ws14540/

The pinto is in great shape. A friend's uncle owned it when I bought it and the car seemed to be pretty sound when I got it. A friend has a 50 f1 with a M2 front underneath so I will have some guidance when doing this.

Latest posts

Back