Resurrecting the 53 GMC

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tw7256

After sitting almost 2 years due to an engine melt down I'm stoked to announce that I have the parts to finally put the engine back together on the way. I have been slowly making some changes as time and money allow. I had the rotating assembly balanced and a different block prepared. The intake is different and I have a bigger radiator installed.
In order to fit the 28" radiator I had to delete the steering box and install a rack and pinion steering. For now it is manual but I might add a power servo to the shaft later. I also installed front and rear sway bars.
I removed the bench seat and went with some really comfortable buckets seats I had. I also found a old Hurst ratchet shifter and was able to move it farther back with the new seats.
On the back I put disc brakes on taken from a 3rd generation Camaro. Once I get get under it's own steam again I'm thinking about having a full roll cage installed to stiffen things up a bit.

I forgot to mention the wheels are new also. I kind of dig them.

Great!

Glad you're working on it again. How about some pics of the rack and pinion install. Love this truck.[cl

My mill is coming along. Next up the radiator hoses and the fan shroud. Looks like I'll need to put a filler neck in the upper radiator hose to eliminate the air pocket. It should be getting fired up in a week or so.

Your tuck still looks good . I seen it some time back ( seems like a build article) and liked it .

I'm building a similar 50 Chevy PU . I have a Nova sub frame welded into the original frame but it seems your front wheels are more forward than mine . Did you move your body back or ??? .

Thx
Gonzo

The motor is sick!! Glad to see this one back. What size tires are those? The rears look a little short for the big 0's cab, but those rims are awesome. I liked the headlights.

Hey TW

I have one (AD truck) sitting at home....got sick of working on it...went out and redid a WIllys Jeep for the past 2 years...now doing a S10-Willys truck...I wanna get back on my AD truck too...they were all the rage a couple years ago...kinda seems like I missed the boat I took so long to get it done...I have not sold it so I might have to finish it now...

My lives in Kansas....I love love love your state for sure...hope someday to be able to live there...

Yours looks great...keep up the great work...reminds me of an old stock car with the front hoop on it...I like it...a lot...:)

MikeC

Your tuck still looks good . I seen it some time back ( seems like a build article) and liked it .

I'm building a similar 50 Chevy PU . I have a Nova sub frame welded into the original frame but it seems your front wheels are more forward than mine . Did you move your body back or ??? .

Thx
Gonzo

It has a Camaro front stub or whats left of one the rest was built by me running an coil over 10 bolt. I have a build thread on here called "Another fenderless 53"

For now it is manual but I might add a power servo to the shaft later.

I prefer manual units because the power one I had was so twitchy it wasn't fun to drive. Sneeze and you'd change lanes so I went back to manual. :eek:

Toad

Nice work. What size is the Olds? Did you do anything with the bottom end oiling and valve train when you rebuilt it?

I added an inch to the pan depth with a high volume pump. Thanks again 62 ChevyII! I did not use the cam bearing restrictors on this one although I have done that in the past. It also has the Tornado windage tray. It has the stock valve train but I used adjustable push rods to get the lash set.
The motor is a .03 over 455 with sealed power forged pistons. The cam is an Eldebrock. I would have to look the lift and duration up but it is in the area of .510 lift and around 290 duration. Advanced 4 degrees. The heads are G casting with ported exhaust ( I removed the bump in the top ) Crane valve springs. I had about .05 milled off the heads and some on the intake side so it would fit better. I'm running an dual plane air gap intake.
It's pretty much a budget motor although I did pop to get it balanced. Almost everything was either E-bay, Graig's list or swap meet bought or traded for.

You might want to move your oil cooler off of the firewall. It won't get any air flow through it that way. Or disregard if you just hung it there while you were working on it.

Latest posts

Back