Retreaded Cheater Slick - Co. Refuses to mount them

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBlood

Hey guys. I am starting to look at tire options for my build. I have a set of old Chrysler steelies that I am going to use on all four corners. I found a set for the fronts that I am going to buy, but for the rear I wanted to use a Cheater Slick/Dirt Track tire.

I found these tires through Speedway and they are pretty affordable. I went to my local tire shop that I usually use and inquired ahead of time about their retreaded tire policy. The guy basically said he may or may not mount one of these tires if I brought it in.

I said, 'Well I will be putting them on the car myself so the liability is on me', he said 'Thats not the problem, I am the one filling it up and I don't know if this tire will blow up in my face'.

These tires are safe right? They're Retreaded, but look brand new. Is he just being an over-safe acehole?

Has anyone run into this problem with this type of tire at a tire shop?

Worst case I will take them to Big-O, they will mount anything or at least try.

91058635_L.jpg
91058638_L.jpg

Retreads have been around since I was knee high to a grasshopper. In the old days that is what you used to see on the road, like you see semi truck tire treads on the highways now. There were some that untreaded on the highway every now and then. But I never heard of one blowing up on the installer. The case is usually a modern, name brand tire, so I think there is very little danger for him. I also think the retread business has gotten better at what they do, and it should be a good tire for you.

Apparently he does have a point - it is possible. It is called zippering - where the sidewall of the casing has been weakened from being run flat too much and it splits like a zipper - no way to tell until its aired. So retreads should always be aired up in a cage - like split rims. My wife works for a retread company - TDS. :)

I believe Hurst starts with new tires and applies the cheater slick tread. I have a pair and other than requiring quite a bit of weight to balance one of them, they are fine. Call Cody at Adams Hot Rod Rubber (Google it) in Oregon. They make the Hurst slicks and you can buy direct if you so desire. More choices than Speedway has.

I believe Hurst starts with new tires and applies the cheater slick tread. I have a pair and other than requiring quite a bit of weight to balance one of them, they are fine. Call Cody at Adams Hot Rod Rubber (Google it) in Oregon. They make the Hurst slicks and you can buy direct if you so desire. More choices than Speedway has.

I posted a link above Bob. Hurst is the same as Hot Rod Rubber now.

http://www.hurstracingtires.com/

I am with Sam on this one.When I was a kid in a small town shop.I had one blow up in face.It blew a 900 pound tire machine over like it was nothing and sent me flying across the shop into a car.Other then some cuts and bruising not to mention having to change my shorts I was ok.But you really need to be careful when airing them up.

They will also take lots of weight to get them to balance.

Also be known that most states dont allow ReCap tires to be installed on passenger cars.

All the tire shops used to have cages in them for split rims, but you don't see them as much any more. I used to mount alot of re-tread paddle tires for dune buggies, never had a problem. Maybe I was just lucky.

Heck we use retreads on 737's and they have a 200mph rating and get pumped up to a million psi:D. All airlines do.

Sean

Don't get me (or more like my wife) wrong, I don't think it is likely, just possible. Probably less likely the bigger the tire. The Co. she works for actually uses some kind of electronic scanner to 'X-ray' the core for defects. In other words, the odds of getting a bad tire are slim now compared to in the past, but it is still possible.

According to the Hurst site, some of their stuff
are new casings, some are used casings.

New casings, I would trust.

Used, maybe, maybe not.

Getting them mounted should be no sweat. Go to your local truck stop, they have a cage and the equipment and they do it all the time. Truck tires on trailers and drive axles are usually retreads, not always but most of the time.

I would offer a word of caution; retreads work fine and are relatively safe. If you live in an area with high temperatures during the summer they are more likely to come apart. When they do that rubber tread will tar everything around it apart, I have had this happen. Saving a few bucks on a tire may end up costing you much more in the long run.

second caution; never ever run retreads on your steering axle. You will never see a big truck with anything but new tires on the front as the danger associated with a steer tire blowing out is much greater than the danger of a drive tire blowing out.

Just my .02

second caution; never ever run retreads on your steering axle. You will never see a big truck with anything but new tires on the front as the danger associated with a steer tire blowing out is much greater than the danger of a drive tire blowing out.

Just my .02

That's changed also. UPS will run re-treads on the fronts.

retread

if you run tubes in the tires will that take some of the pressure off of the sidewall when you are trying to bead them ???? would this not make them safer ????

I can understand why tire shops are leary. Remember when 10" rims running 5" rubber were popular among that gangsta set (thank god you don't see them anymore). One of the local shops got sued when a Nissan Maxima flipped.They will no longer install tires narrower than rim with in my area.

Retreads have been around a long long time. I can't tell you the number of sets I have run. Never had a problem, almost every semi on the road runs retreads, don't know what all the to do is about.

Latest posts

Back