reversered corvair steering????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat49f6

so i saw a corvair steering box mounted on top of the frame of a 29 tudor yesterday ... it made me think... i could box over the original section and put it up top ( which would be a huge safety upgrade( the z in the fframe is very close to the original location)

do u guys think a reversed corvair steering box would hold have enough gumpsion to steer my 49 f6???

Should be fine. There is a really good tech article on reversing the corvair steering box in OSR #25

I think my Son Dan is going to have to do the same thing on his '29 RPU. He has been wrestling with steering box choices and there aren't a lot out there. He tried my Flaming River knockoff of a reversed Corvair box and it seems like he can make it work ok. He can't use Vega because he doesn't want cross steering.

If you go Corvair, use the cast iron box not aluminum one, much stronger. Also use an original Corvair steering pitman arm (read my thread about the chromed Speedway one I just had break in half on me :eek:)

Don

Oh, here is how I mounted the same box in my T. This might give you some ideas.

Don

Attachments

• t steering box mounted 002.jpg
    t steering box mounted 002.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 43
  • t new steering box.jpg
    t new steering box.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 41
  • t new steering box 2.jpg
    t new steering box 2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 62
forgot to mention def would use the cast iron one ... but the truck is a 2ton truck still think it has enough umph???

i read about your issue with the speedway one ill b looking for a stock pitman arm

big remaining question is about the size of the truck compared to the corvair...

Um, that might be an issue. The Corvair obviously was rear engined so little weight up front, two tons might be a stretch. I think you are going to have to go to some heavier box, maybe done cross steering method. You might even want a power box.

Don

Looking at your build, you are best to stay with the F6 steering. It appears that you are going to keep that suspension anyway. Change for change sake is wrong. Tex Smith has a good saying about building rods, Keep It Simple Stupid. I say it to myself alot.

There is no shortage of newer 2 ton boxes, even power steering. Old school busses as in buses that are old, not "old school":p make good doners and should have a pitman arm that comes close. I'd nix the little car box on a truck.

any chance of mounting it above or below the frame so i can box that entire section of the frame???

just a side note to the vega box. it can be reversed just like the corvair too and sit on top of the frame the same way. i also have this box from a nisson mini truck that will sit on top of the frame and the pitman arm goes up. this is the kind of box that was mounted in front of the tires on the frame. i also used a chevy love box mounted below the frame, ala model A, with the pitman arm going up and worked great too.

box...

i would go with a 525 box..... i guy i know cracked 2 aluminum corvair boxes on his model a ....brandon:D

Latest posts

Back