right hand steering

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoagie

I was looking at my truck today ( 48 Ford F6 ) and I noticed on the right of the chassis is a bolt pattern the same as the steering box bolt pattern. I got to thinking that it would be different if I can switch over to right hand steering. Has anybody done that? Can it be done?

Hoagie

Imagine making a left turn in a busy intersection from the passenger seat or trying to pull out and pass when your whole car has to be across the line before you can see what's coming. I drove a right side steering Jag on an eight hour shift once. Yep it can be done, and welcome to the board Hoagie. :)

Welcome hoagie.

IMO, switching to RHD is way too much trouble for the sake of being different. First, you'll need a RHD box. More than likely, you'll also need a RHD bellhousing and a matching starter motor. Then you need to relocate your pedals and brake system and you haven't touched the column, firewall or wiring yet. All this to drive on the wrong side. If you have a running driving truck, leave it alone and get a tattoo. :D

I seriously considered right hand steer as well...... But I axed the idea shortly after. Reality was, I axed it after I walked away from the postal jeep in the scrap yard that had right hand steer :)
I would be fun, but driving these rats can be a challenge in itself. No need to add more drama to the mix [P

Zero points deducted for thinking out of the box though.

I drive with my right hand all the time...???

Welcome hoagie.

IMO, switching to RHD is way too much trouble for the sake of being different. First, you'll need a RHD box. More than likely, you'll also need a RHD bellhousing and a matching starter motor. Then you need to relocate your pedals and brake system and you haven't touched the column, firewall or wiring yet. All this to drive on the wrong side. If you have a running driving truck, leave it alone and get a tattoo. :D

Seriously....If I might switch gears for a minute...I have to agree with Doc...a lot of work for driving from the passenger seat...Jmho

I've driven a right hand steering wheeled Healey over here and it was no fun. Hard to judge where you are on the road and shifting left handed is odd.

Don

Drove a VW 9 passenger Van in Scotland....

I've driven a right hand steering wheeled Healey over here and it was no fun. Hard to judge where you are on the road and shifting left handed is odd.

Don

rented it at the airport...drove out of the airport to the first round about in the wrong lane....can you imagine the response I got going the wrong direction thru the round about in the wrong lane???? :eek:Took some doing to drive on the right side of the car shifting with my left hand....

Latest posts

Back