RIP Larry Watson!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils reject

ok.. i know iv been here for quite a while and i only have a few post but... i need to get something of my chest! did anyone even realize that Larry Watson has passed???? not tring to start any problems ,but come on guys he was a pioneer of what we are all doing.... customizing. i know alot of you prefer the rust and the "natural look, but this man should get respect and praise from every last one of us dirty rats to full 50 thousand $ customs! he was an innovator! if u feel im wrong then i will respect your opinion, but hell i believe the man deserves some respect!!!!
download.jpg

images.jpg

images (2).jpg

images (3).jpg
RIP LARRY!!!
my 2cent love it or leave it!!!
http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Larry_Watson

now im done sorry bout the rant

Devils Reject[ddev

Well, since most of us belong to more than one forum, it was discussed on several others I am on, and I paid my respects there. How many times do you want us to do it? Sure, we feel bad, and most of us grew up loving Larry's work, but we can't post every happening on every forum we frequent.

If you felt the need, why didn't you just post about his death rather than taking us to task for overlooking it?:confused:

Don

Thanks for bringing it up. I did not know. But then I live under a rock.
RIP Larry Watson

And I enjoy all kinds of cars, including customs.

This will probably tick you off, and im not trying to. Of course out of all respect, RIP Larry Watson.

Now im sorry bud, but i really have no clue who he is. But i give you this, i will know before i get off this computer.

dons as i said .......... i just wanted to bring it to light. if people hear dont know who is is thats fine! i just wanted him to get his just reserve! sorry if you feel i made a big deal out OF A GOOD MAN PASSING!! i also go to other forums and they all gave him respect so i thought it fitting i let you all know!
[ddev[ddev

arkansawen.. not mad at ya.. just hope you look at his work. i know a lot of pep dont know his name i just home his passing helps make is work even stronger!!!

I heard he died from a brain tumor. If so, Lil John Buttera also died from one. Makes you wonder if it was all those years these early pioneers messed around with paint and other car chemicals that are now banned in most places?

The one that I am really surprised at is Bill Hines. He has ingested more lead than most people could tolerate, and he smokes cigars like they are going out of style, yet at 80 some he still works 18 hour days.

Don

I started painting "Watson" style when I was 15 years old in the 60s and still manage to sneak in some of his style panel painting to this day...Not all Hot Rodders really know who Larry was only because he was more a custom sort of guy, but grab any 50s-60s custom magazine and you will see pages of customs painted by one of the greatest painters of all time...........He will remain a legend to custom painters for generations to come.................RIP Larry

Last edited:
I just saw this on another forum and thought they wouldn't mind me borrowing it. Some friends of Larry and his Son (also named Larry) got together and custom painted his coffin. What a beautiful work of art and what a fitting resting place for such a master painter. I didn't know Larry, but I bet he would love what they did for him.

They said Larry Jr is the guy in the center of that group shot.

Don

lw2.jpg

lw3.jpg

lw.jpg

Devil's Reject-Thanks for posting, I was not aware Mr. Watson had passed. Rest In Peace, Larry.

Don, thanks for sharing the pics, that is a most fitting final tribute to a man whose paint work made MANY of the classic kustoms truly beautiful cars.

Regards,
Shea:)

I think his final resting place says a lot about how his friends loved Larry. The most any man can hope for is to leave this world with people who miss and love him. Looks like Larry accomplished that quite well. :):)

Don

Latest posts

Back