Rivets - how strong

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooligan36

I just made it home from a local show and seen a home built Rod. He had built the body frame work with 1"x1" square stock, and had the cowl riveted to the frame along with all the side panels. How strong are rivets? I figure side panels dont have much weight but are rivets strong enough to hold on a cowl?

The Empire State building is put together with rivits, and the Statue of Liberty. Most WWII airplanes. Probably the Eifle Tower too. If done right they are plenty strong.

No, there are several ways to put in rivets, most require a bucket of elbow grease.

Alot of them can be done by hand with a hammer, there are also special punches and some rivit tools that screw down on the rivet.

Or are we talking about pop rivets? The kind with the hole in the head? Different story there, still strong, but not so great with road vibration. Snowmobiles use them and some semi trucks but you see some that vibrate out sometimes.

no pop rivets.

I was looking at a air tool that seems to hammer in the rivets. I watched the gun on a youtube video but I was wondering if you have to be able to access the back of the rivet for this tool.

No you don't need expensive machinery. Of course if you start getting into large diameter rivets, you might have some issues. What kind of rivets/riveting do you have in mind?

I have a 25 Maxwell cowl.... I built the frame. The cowl is just welded on with some holes that were drilled and then filled. Im now thinking about using rivets to attach the cowl and the side panels. Im not exactly the best welder when it comes to thin material

carfab09-07-0811.jpg

carfab09-07-0814.jpg

no pop rivets.

I was looking at a air tool that seems to hammer in the rivets. I watched the gun on a youtube video but I was wondering if you have to be able to access the back of the rivet for this tool.

If you have an air chisel all you need to get is the rivet sets. I have found aircraft supplier a good source of riveting equipment

www.aircraft-tool.com

www.yardstore.com

crap, I have an air chisel..... what all do I need to convert the gun?

All I did was get the correct diameter rivet sets. They slip into the same place your chisels go. Make sure to use low air pressure. You can use most any thing heavy for the bucking bar. Body dollies work well and you can make them to fit your needs from scrap you might have lying around.

Latest posts

Back