Roadster P/U

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldblueoval

OK, planning and aquiring parts for the next project. This one is for the wife, she wants to do a roadster pickup. Has anybody seen any threads on here where someone has used a later model truck cab as the basis for a roadster build. Please throw some ideas out there, I need to get creative!!:confused:[;)

Unfinished.
1263920912.jpg

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12919

A couple of years back, Rod & Custom did a series of roadster truck cabs from the 60's and 70's. I'll go through my magazine stash and see if I find them for you. They had some cool ideas for different models, makes and years.

Thanks guys, keep it coming. Gonna try to achieve a 30s look with a 50s-60s cab. Just trying to see if anybody else had any luck with this type of build. Again, thanks and keep it coming!![cl

The biggest problem is the later cab is wide and doesn't taper to the front - then the builder tries to fit a 32 style upright grill on it and the proportions fail.

'50 chevy

i am trying to build this in 1-1. this is a model i built of what it will look like. sam is correct about the proportions being wrong. i cut out 17 inches down the middle and it just so happens i have a grille that looks to be a
'32 of some make. there was a model car book with several drawings by steve sanford of '50 ford and chevy truck cabs. this was one of them.

Ok, I found it.

I was thinking the R&C article was back a couple of years....try August 2007. Time flys, or I have a better memory than I thought. Anyhow, I got it all scanned and and enlarged the text so it's easier to read. The pics are all thumbnails so just click on them until they stop getting bigger. (I don't do the photobucket stuff, so you'll have to bear with me.) Also, there is one picture that is in two parts, you'll have to stitch them together if you so desire, since I can't get it to work. (I don't pretend to be good at this.) There is also a follow up article in the March 2008 issue that I found and included as well, as you'll see there are enough pics and what not, to cover two or three posts. Enjoy.:) (As it turned out there were four!!)

Attachments

• Truckster 1-1.jpg
    Truckster 1-1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 14
  • Truckster 1a-1.jpg
    Truckster 1a-1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Truckster 1b-1.jpg
    Truckster 1b-1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 16
  • Truckster 1c-1.jpg
    Truckster 1c-1.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Truckster 1d-1.jpg
    Truckster 1d-1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Truckster 1e-1.jpg
    Truckster 1e-1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Truckster 1f-1.jpg
    Truckster 1f-1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Truckster 1h-1.jpg
    Truckster 1h-1.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Truckster 1i-1.jpg
    Truckster 1i-1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Truckster 1text1-1.jpg
    Truckster 1text1-1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Trucksters page 3 March 2008 issue of R&C

This is the follow up that was done on request by the readers, the whole idea generated a lot of interest.

Attachments

• Truckster 2-1.jpg
    Truckster 2-1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 8
  • Truckster 2 text1-1.jpg
    Truckster 2 text1-1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Truckster 2 text2-1.jpg
    Truckster 2 text2-1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Truckster 2 text3-1.jpg
    Truckster 2 text3-1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Truckster 2a-1.jpg
    Truckster 2a-1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Truckster 2b-1.jpg
    Truckster 2b-1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Truckster 2c-1.jpg
    Truckster 2c-1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 11
  • Truckster 2d-1.jpg
    Truckster 2d-1.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Truckster 2e-1.jpg
    Truckster 2e-1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Truckster 2f-1.jpg
    Truckster 2f-1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for all the homework guys. It looks like narrowing the cab is a must. I also found a build where a guy used a hood to form the back of the cab to give it more of a "tub" shape. Short stepside bed should be easy. If anybody has a T-shirt from last years Jalopy Fest, the image on the back is how she wants the grill to look. I love shes into rods![;)

Liking the 70s Ford truck thing. Still has a cowl area in front of the windshield and you can graft the aft section of the front fenders on to give the appearance of a full cowl. Gonna go with traverse leaf front, 16" wire wheels, 283 SBC, and powerglide (this is the stuff I already have). Scratch build on the frame, dont know about rear suspension. Gotta finish my KB-1 first[;)

OK, I've read and re-read that R&C clip a bunch now. I'm getting stoked, this looks like this is gonna work![cl[;)

There is some good info in those articles. You will have to measure your seating area, motor and trans, etc and then do a sketch to see if it works with the porportions. Most who try this just whack the roof off, leave the cab full width and jam whatever grille they can get on the front. It takes time to sort it all out and make it look right. ZZ rodder (on here) did a fenderless cab truck (still had the roof) that came out killer but it was a ton of work. (see link) http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14492
Someone else did the 66 chevy truck roadster awhile back that was in the mags too. Looked good. [P

Latest posts

Back