Roadster pickup from leftovers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to take my camera to Turkey Run.:eek: Pretty much we only saw the swap meet anyway. Sorry, next year I will remember. :)

Got a lot done on my two days off over Christmas. On Friday I got the transmission I bought from Jackson Racing Transmissions painted black to match the motor. I didn't go nuts on prepping this one, I just degreased it, scuffed it, and shot it. On my 23 i spent days block sanding the transmission and spraying it so it looked like the body, and once the body was on you never saw an inch of it.........so this one got the quicky treatment.

I put a B & M Holeshot converter with it with a 2400 stall. My motor is so mild this will be a stronger setup than I need, but just in case I ever do put more hp in it I will not have to worry. On Saturday, Dan and I got the transmission installed for (hopefully) the final time.

Next step is to get the body out of my storage building and start body work. My Son Dan found some guy who does dustless blasting, and he will come right to the shop and do it, so I might have him clean it up first to give me a clean slate to start with. I'm pretty sure I will be going with a patina paint job, but won't know for sure until I really start on the bodywork.

Don

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I have sort of reached a spot where I need to make a decision on my 46. I've kinda come to the conclusion that I have more projects than years left, and, while I was interested in the 46 for a while, I have sort of lost that interest. I really am more of a roadster guy than a sedan guy.

So, I have offered to give it to either of my two Sons, just to get it to someone who might really want to do it. I bought it originally about 8 years or so ago, and after a couple of years I sold it to my Son Don. He did a few things, like buying patch panels and a rear leaf spring conversion kit and then it sat. So I bought it back from him, and it has sat for another 4 or 5 years, with zero done to it.

It is also in the way of me getting to do the real project I want to do, my drag altered. I REALLY want to go racing again, and the only two cars in the way are the rpu project and the 46. If I give the 46 to one of them it will get that noose from around my neck and free up some space in the shop to build the altered.

I don't have a fortune in the 46 or in the 46 parts car I bought recently, so giving it to them will not hurt me in any way. I just need to find out if one of them wants it. Dan probably not, but Don will probably take it.

Don

Now that my engine and transmission are installed the next step is to start on the bodywork. But first, I wanted to make sure everything still clears because I have never had this body on with the Chevy engine, only with the previous Oldsmobile engine. Tonight Dan and I put the body on and everything seems to clear fine.

So now I can put the body on the rolling cart and start patch panels and getting it down to bare metal. I am still on the fence about colors, but probably I will distress the paint so the primer shows through in spots to age the car a little.

Here are some pictures from tonight.

Don

It's the makings of a reality TV show: A talented old guy and his twin sons build hot rods and race cars, go cruising, make music and take in stray cats. Better than anything out there now.[cl:D

Thanks, guys. Yep, we are working on a reality pilot. Gonna name it "Fat and Lousy". :D

Right now I am trying to solve the alternator mounting situation. Stock aftermarket sbc ones won't work because they put the alternator too far out to look good and the ones that go on top don't fit because of my tripower intake that has the oil fill tube in front.

But I think I worked out a solution the other night and will do some more today after work. (I'm pretending we just went to commercial to keep you all in suspense...........don't change that channel ! :D)

Don

Latest posts

Back