Roadster pickup from leftovers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today we worked on making the mounts that go on the frame and hold the front of the lower bars. Seems like such a simple task, but by the time we designed them, cut them out, shaped them, and got them welded up, it took all day. We still have to weld them to the frame and will get that done one night this week. I kept telling Dan they don't show, but he just ignores me.

Not a lot to show, but here are some pictures from tonight.

Don

myrpuframebracketslowerbar001.jpg

myrpuframebracketslowerbar003.jpg

myrpuframebracketslowerbar006.jpg

myrpuframebracketslowerbar007.jpg

Thanks MM. I've seen his welds with the mig improve so much over the past 6 or so years. He is so comfortable with it that his tig never has gotten used in the 4 years since I bought it for him. I keep telling him I want him to use it so he can do my rollcage some day, but he hasn't gotten away from the mig yet.

His Brother Don just bought the same Miller welder (Dan has a 210 and the new one is the 212) and Dan is spending time teaching Don to weld. He keeps telling Don that it is just a matter of laying down weld after weld after weld and you will improve with practice. Whenever I weld something I realize I have a lot more practice yet to go, so I just let Dan do it for me.
:eek:

Don

No, truth is, I haven't done a thing on it since the last post. :eek: My focus has been on trying to get my 27 ready for the Billetproof drags this Sunday, and we have rented the unit next to our shop, effectively doubling our space, so we have been moving stuff out of 3 storage buildings into the new place. Had to get the ADT people out to install an alarm on that part, etc.

My plan is to get Sunday out of the way, then finish organizing the shop. Once that is done I can get back on the rpu. Thanks for asking though. :)

Don

Thanks guys. No updates, it is kinda laying dormant right now. All our focus is on getting the engine for my Sons RPU back together and in the car. Billetproof is coming up in March and I really want to see him make it this year again.

I've also taken on another project. I gave my Son Don a machined 460 Ford engine and racing C6 for his Capri drag car project, and in turn he gave me a nice little 93 Fox Mustang that needs an engine. So I bought a 351 roller cam engine and it is in the machine shop right now. I am going to use this one as my sort of daily driver when it is done so I have to keep moving on it before I ever get back on the rpu project.

But I just found a narrowed 9 inch Ford rear with Chassis Eng 31 spline axles locally and I have always wanted to build a little Austin Bantam drag car, so.................:eek::eek:

Don

Don, it just wonderful to maintain so much enthusiasm and ideas for building cars even though we're no longer young guys. Looks like you'll be busy in the shop for many years.[cl

I must have been sleepin the last couple of months to have missed this one. Not any More![P[P

Thanks guys. Not sure if it is enthusiasm or if I am just too dumb to know when to quit. :eek:

We really are making good progress on my Son's new engine. Today we got the intake and carbs on, plus the pulleys and oil filter mount. Doesn't seem like those things would take so long but Dan had to repolish all the stainless fasteners on the engine, clean the areas where gaskets go back to bare metal, and then put all the parts on.

It is starting to look like a motor finally. After Christmas we are going to take the th350 back to the transmission shop to see where the little leak is coming from and have it fixed. I think they pinched a seal when they put the new front pump in it, as it seems to be leaking from that area.

Here are a few pictures of the engine as it sits tonight.

Don

dansmotoralmostdone001.jpg

dansmotoralmostdone002.jpg

dansmotoralmostdone003.jpg

That`s a good lookin` engine. What exactly are we looking at? I want to say Pontiac, but not sure... [S

Merry Christmas Don!

Latest posts

Back