roller lifters question??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiny1

Callin' him Tiny is like callin' Dirty Harry a bea
I just tore down my 350 And its a late model block with one piece rear seal.
I didn't know it but it has roller lifters in it. I was going to run a flat tappet hydraulic cam. my question is will the old style lifters work in this block are am i going to have to run a roller cam. I'm not up on the newer chevy stuff i always ran the older blocks but having a hard time finding one.

Thanks for any info

Keep it!!!

Tiny,
I prefer the rollers & have been using them exclusively. I feel they ramp up/down faster & are a lot less hassle. I've flattened several flat tappet cams but never a roller... plus less friction=more HP. I'm not a big Lunati fan & usually go with Crane & use 1.7:1 rockers. GMPP has some good grinds too.

BoB

I'm going the the comp cam thumpr series its what we put in the first truck i built its a roller its called muther thumpr. I was going to get the Big Muther thumpr. Figured i needed it since i was so big lol . But i was trying to save the bucks. I can get the flat tappet for $129.00 compared to the $300.00 bucks for the roller. But i may just have to bite the bullet.

Back when i raced i had ultradyne cut my cams for me but thats been many moons ago.

Tiny, you can run a flat tappet cam in that block. Just leave off the retainer parts for the roller lifters. Don't forget to change the push rods too.

I can get the flat tappet for $129.00 compared to the $300.00 bucks for the roller. But i may just have to bite the bullet.

I know those Lunati's sound cheap but remember the old adage... u get what u pay for!!! Flatten one & see how much that costs!!! That's just my .02 & maybe u won't drive like I do but...

Tiny,
I prefer the rollers...

Me too. More money up front though.
BUT you can change cams,and reuse the same lifters no problem.
Can't do that with flat tappets.

Right now,I'm working on how to put Chevy roller lifters
in a 50 years old Franken-motor.

Going to need some machining,and a custom cam.

Thanks Gastrick ,Tripper ,Unkl Ian. Gastrick i thought you could i just wanted to make sure before i tried it.
I may go ahead and spend the money on a roller. I'll just have to do some extra sweet talking i reckon lol

You can do it Tiny. Tell her all the other kids are doing it and you don't want to be left out:D. I've been wanting to try one of those Thumper cams in my Anglia. I think I'm going to pull the engine out of my Anglia after I put the hemi in my coupe so I can put a Thumper cam in it and move the tri-power that's on my coupe to the Anglia engine.

You can do it Tiny. Tell her all the other kids are doing it and you don't want to be left out:D. I've been wanting to try one of those Thumper cams in my Anglia. I think I'm going to pull the engine out of my Anglia after I put the hemi in my coupe so I can put a Thumper cam in it and move the tri-power that's on my coupe to the Anglia engine.

I tried that about all the other kids doing it she told me just because they do it don't mean i have to lol.

The thumper we put in the other truck has ran flawless and sounds wicked to boot. I'm after the sound more that speed anyway i just wanna sound bad. lol He is running a turbo 350 trans and with stock converter and it idles fine at red lights.

Latest posts

Back