Rookie 1930 Chevrolet Truck build... suggestions?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rookie

Starting my first Rat Rod build with a 1930 Chevrolet Pu frame and cab, just got a I beam from a 1935 Model A, and a Mercury Cougar 9in. Pictures to come soon, any tips from anyone with similar build year? Also looking for tips on what suspension to build on a low budget

Starting my first Rat Rod build with a 1930 Chevrolet Pu frame and cab, just got a I beam from a 1935 Model A, and a Mercury Cougar 9in. Pictures to come soon, any tips from anyone with similar build year? Also looking for tips on what suspension to build on a low budget

Your first rookie lesson will be that there is no such thing as a 1935 Model A. Model A production stopped with the 1931 Model year and there are a lot of differences between the front suspension in comparison with a '35 Ford. Do a LOT of research before doing anything. Not only is your life in your hands but everyone else's that is on the road. One of the best books you can start with is "How To Build A Traditional Ford Hot Rod" by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel. It is available through many outlets on the net. You will learn a lot...

Take your time, Look at all the pics, talk to everyone, use the spare stuff that others throw away when they put on new "good" stuff. Then chop it, channel it, section it and cuz it. Good luck. There are alot of guys on here that will help you with any questions. And have fun........

When you get a chance, post a picture of that front axle, so you know exactly what you're working with.

...and besides, we like pictures....

As stated above..... read read read. I have made some costly mistakes on my first build (all fixable) because I jumped the gun and didnt research enough.
Ask questions too. There are no dumb ones. Alot of good guys on here to help out.

I bought the front I beam from an Old-timer who welded the arms of the spindles to the beam and used it as a trailer axle... I already cut them apart with no damage to the beam, but I had to cut the arm "eye" off. Any suggestions on how to repair the spindles? Working on pictures

Latest posts

Back