Rookie alert

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkansawer

Hey ya'll im Torrey and new to the rat rod/hot rod scene. Im from North East Arkansas, around Hardy. Love cars and have a passion for them as well, just have never had the time nor money to build a RR. Wife said that if i shut up about getting a bike then i can build a RR or hot rod. I havent mentioned a bike since lol. :D So now im on the hunt. I found a 39 chevy 4 dr sedan. The car is almost in a creek, almost completely on its side leaned against a tree. Called the stupid owner today and this is what i was told "that car is there to keep the soil/dirt from going into the creek so no you cant touch it". :mad: I will be taking my time and finding exactly what i want. So stay with me while i lurk some.

Thanks for having me, and dont be to hard on the rookie. :cool:

Torrey

Welcome to RRR!

Wife said that if i shut up about getting a bike then i can build a RR or hot rod. I havent mentioned a bike since lol.

Thanks for having me, and dont be to hard on the rookie. :cool:

Torry,
Welcome to RRR! I wouldn't mention a bike again either. It really helps if the little woman is on board with a ratty build and don't worry about being picked on because you're new, they don't do that here.

Beercan

Welcome to RRR, Arkansawer. That guy don't know what he's doing to that '39. Hope you find a project that suits you.

Heck when i first asked him about it he had no clue what i was talking about. Im going to call him back this weekend and offer to put up a wall of railroad tyes to "protect" the creek from the soil.

Ive also found a 51-52 2 door sedan, and waiting on a response from that one as well. Cant tell if its a ford or chevy, but im going to guess and say chevy. It looks to be in pretty good shape, surface rust but i didnt see any outside rot holes. Would a 51-52 have a flathead?

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Welcome to RRR.

They are a friendly bunch here and NEVER pick on anyone - I should know - I'm a know nothing Brit and the tolerate me :D

I guess if that car was holding back the water it would have made a DAM fine project :p but as it is holding back the dirt out of the creek you can BANK on it being a solid find :p

Good luck with your project.

The key is to educate yourself and get as much knowledge on the topic as possible. Frequenting message boards and asking lots of silly questions will turn in you into a hot rod stud in no time. :wink:

Welcome to RRR Arkansawer. I would take a real close look at the 39 Chevy before I tried too hard to talk the owner into parting with it. Seeing as where it's situated, the body dedcay may be extensive. And if the 51-52 is a ford, yes it should have a flathead V-8. If it's a Chevy, it probablyhas an OHV inline 6. MAybe it's a Mopar and it will have a 331 hemi :D

hey rookie

hey man, i've been thru ravenden springs, there was a junk/salvage yard there, enis's i think was the name (been at least 15 yrs. ago) but hey, there's lots of tin in that part of the country--just not much of it is for sale!:(
I used to know a few people from up that way...I lived near smithville most of my life, now only have my shop there & live near cave city anyway welcome to the site and happy hunting:D

Welcome to RRR.

They are a friendly bunch here and NEVER pick on anyone - I should know - I'm a know nothing Brit and the tolerate me :D

I guess if that car was holding back the water it would have made a DAM fine project :p but as it is holding back the dirt out of the creek you can BANK on it being a solid find :p

Yes we tolerate Biggles but i for one am begining to wonder for how much longer :D:D

Hey thanks for the kind words yall, and believe me im all for asking questions. Im pretty knowledgable about cars and such, for the most part anyway. Ive just never built one or began to build one, so there will be questions for sure. Im going to go talk to the guy about the 51-52 tomorrow. Called him tonight and his wife called back and said that hed get rid of it just need to come by and talk to him and make him an offer. He said he has no dealings with that car so i can either get it for free (just haul it off) or for really dirt cheap, like a couple hundred bucks or less. Ill go by this weekend and take pics of it and stuff like that for yall.

Now here is the kicker, i asked a guy that comes into the store alot if he knew anyone that had an older car for sale. He said his dad has a Model A sedan that hed probably sale. Of course all of the wood is rotted out, and i think he said it doesnt have a motor or tranny. Suppose to let me know next friday how much he wants for it.

HotRod Preacher, next time you are up in pocahontas in your rod, swing by subway and well shoot the bull.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back