Rosie`s Great Body and Paint/ MoonLighter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattyhotrod51

I`m not sure where to put this, But has anyone ever been to this website
( Rosie`s Great Body and Paint) and seen the car they call Moonlighter? They say it`s a 51 Chevy Styleline, but I`m not sure, something looks funny about it. But,anyway, if it is, can someone tell me what they did with the back glass. I like how it looks. Thanks.

Not sure what you are seeing, exactly. It looks like they just used the stock back window and laid it down a little. To me this isn't a great chop, the top looks too flat and it doesn't flow well IMO. Sometimes chops come out looking like a giant stepped on the roof, and this one sort of reminds me of that look.

Don

51chev_1.jpg

The back glass was lowered closer to the beltline and laid forward slightly. That chop looks terrible. Like Don said it doesn't flow - top is way too flat, and it almost seems to slope downward from the back towards the front. To keep the flow the body should have been cut at the above decklid panel and lengthened there, eliminating the need for a filler strip in the roof. This give a much better look, and you don't have to try to weld across a top. It winds up with a profile similar to a coupe.

I think I disagree with Don, I like the look of it. The lighting in the pic makes it hard to see how well the roof lines work though. I don't go much for the fast back chops that get done to these.

The rear window looks like it sticks up kinda high on this one. I might have tried lowering the back another 1/2-1".

Take some pics of your car, and start photo chopping it. You'll get a feel for how the angles have to go together.

EDIT: Since they didn't slant the B-pillar forward, I assume they aren't going for a swept back look. I also think it will look odd if they lower it more than a couple inches. It's not a tail dragger chop.

Last edited:
Don't be fooled - 4" is a big chop. I would look into slanting that back window in another inch from what they have too. Without the section it would/might look good slammed.

Oh,yeah, it would take a chunk out of the roof. I think I may lowered it some too, don`t know. I rode in an S10 that was slammed, talk about jarring the kidneys. I just ordered Tex Smith`s How To Chop Tops too.

In fairness to the chop you posted, Chevies of that era are hard to make look right with a chop, compared to something like a 50 Ford or Merc. Even the one below doesn't do it for me, and it is probably done pretty well. Some cars just don't chop well.

Don

chevy.jpg

Latest posts

Back