Roswell junkyard goldmine closing.Last chance at these gems

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex1927

Saw this terrible story on barnfind.
Roswell N.M. yard closing and crushing thousands of cars.Lots of cars from 1930`s up.They look to be in great shape.It makes me very sad.
We lost our last classic junkyard here in costal S.C a few years ago without warning so we could not save any.
I would have got some out of there had I known.:mad:
Now here goes another one in New Mexico.
Once the old cars are gone that is it,the end of hobby.
They only made so many.
Maybe some local guys can save a few at this one.:)
http://www.barnfinds.com/roswell-salvage-yard-liquidation/

Thanks for the link, looks like some great projects there. Not many of the old style junk yards around here anymore either.
Had to laugh to myself at this line in the article:

"Roswell is located in the high desert planes of New Mexico, which explains the combination of sun baked paint and surface rust. While it makes for some very interesting “patina”, it also makes it more difficult to justify restoring any of these cars.

.....dang son, that's just what I look for.

Once the old cars are gone that is it,the end of hobby.
They only made so many.

You're right that they only made so many, but with the prevalence of manufacturers making new bodies now and lots of baby boomers getting nearer and nearer to the pine box and their hot rods needing to go somewhere, I don't see this hobby dying.

I'm not sure there's a whole lot worth saving there anyways. Hopefully the good stuff gets a good home.

"once the old cars are gone that,s the end of the hobby" don,t think so, people will just move on to other or newer stuff like 4 dr. wagons, pu bodies,sliced and diced whatever they want, probably won,t be traditional looking but thet will be the new hotrods

What always intrigues me is how the rust on cars from States like NM is so different from the rust most of us are used to (especially Northern cars). It almost isn't like rust, but just a shiny coating that doesn't seem to really be eating into the metal.

The 46 Ford I bought came from Montana, and it has that kind of non pitting rust that just seems to be painted on the surface. Very odd how that happens.

Don

I read the article and didn't read "crushing". Selling and liquidating a collection. What's wrong with that? I'm sure many of them will ultimately end up going across the scale but just being old doesn't always equate with having any usable value.

They need to have a televised auction. Get all the people that are mad at their money to swoop em all up.

Not much people can do with a twisted-up 48 chevy 4-door.

Around here they try to sell them for $1500 lately. Usually with something like "Would make a great start for a rat rod" somewhere in the ad. :rolleyes:

Seriously any of those 4drs without smashed roofs or body panels would sell here for $1000 minimum if the chrome and curved glass were there. Go farther east and the price goes up. The 2drs would be twice that if not more. The market has been distorted here for some reason this last year though.

Latest posts

Back