rust converter + bondo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I've got a dent on the rear of my A that was bondo'd maybe 30 years ago but the metal underneath was rusting, bondo popping off. So I took it back down to bare metal but the problem is I can't get it all the rust out since its pitted pretty deep in places. I wire-wheeled it as best I could but I know if I put new body filler over it, it's going to rust & pop off eventually.

Question - can I hit that with rust converter and then bondo over it? I think I remember reading about a guy doing this in a paint & body book. Of course I can't find that book anymore....

If possible dolly out as much of the dent as possible before adding any filler. Try to keep the plastic as thin as you possibly can. A rust converter is good as long as you get it washed off after it has done its job and be sure the metal is completely died before adding the filler. Good luck.

I'v wondered about this also because some rust converters are latex based ( sort'a like putting elmers glue on the rust with a thin film buildup) and some seem like they acually penetrate into the rust .

Latest posts

Back