Rust on Rockers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank p

I'm in the process of installing a fresher motor in my car but plan on using the old heads on the newer stock block motor. I bought ported and polished heads off a drag motor with about 100 runs on them and used on my old motor and now plan on using on the newer stock block motor. I will be taking the heads to a machine shop and have them gone through but my concern is, while taking the valve covers off the heads, I found that the first three rockers on both heads had rust build up towards the push rod tips and half way back towards the main body. I'm assuming the rust is from condensation from them sitting on the old motor in an enclosed garage for the past 4-5 months. No blown head gaskets, rust or water was found in any of the cylinders, heads or engine oil. The rust was easily removed with the aid of a wire wheel on a bench grinder. I did discover minor surface pitting on these rockers afterward. Should I replace the rockers which I bought new when I first placed the heads on the old motor, Approximately 15,000 miles ago (rockers are stock type rockers with roller tip) or should I not worry about the minor pitting and reuse them. Any and all answers will be appreciated

Depends on where the rust is exactly and how deep the pitting is. The only areas to be concerned with are the parts that touch the pushrods (up in that depression) and the very tip (where it rides on the valve stem) If you can clean that all up pretty smooth I wouldn't sweat it too much as oil will coat it pretty quickly when the motor is running.

Be sure where that rust came from though. You will want to be sure there wasn't some water leaking somehow in that area by closer examination. I have seen this happen, and it is usually from what you describe........storage.

Don

Latest posts

Back