rusty fuel tanks!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lost in the 50s

rusty fuel tanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all, I just got my issue of R&C, I also subscribe to ol skool too! very interesting article in R&C, about the methanol in our gasoline. At the present it's only 10% and they're thinking of increasing it to 15% in the future. The Big problem is the alcohol is creating moisture in our steel fuel tanks, I can vouch for that, I've seen it in my gas tank.

I guess my next step is to change over to a poly fuel cell and aluminum fuel lines to solve this condensation issue. I just put a new engine in my truck last year. I don't need to ruin an engine that has about $7K in it! Any one else have any other input,ideas, or has anyone else had this issue of rust in their tanks.

I am up and down on the subject. My older cars will take a beating with the methenol. I had a couple of TPI cars that the ethenol took out the injectors in. Wasnt fun but I upgraded to modern style injectors and they never ran better! On the turbo EFI side of me I would love to see E85 up here. Talk about high octane and the cooling principles of ethenol right out of the pumps! I could easily turn an extra 3-4 PSI and 3-4 degrees of timing across the board. So thats my dilema...[S

theres still a handfull of companies / stations not running ethanol -
maybe chevrons? gulf, citgo

theyre required by law to have a notification (sticker that says
up to ---- % ethanol)

the whole thing is about money just like everything else put into
effect by politicians

Attachments

• seal.jpg
    seal.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2
I use additives to take out the water. Cheap way is the alcohol-based stuff for about $2. Then there is SeaFoam and PIR-G which stabilize the gas, and clean the fuel system. Get used to the ethanol. With the movement afoot to replace fossil fuel, the internal combustion engine is about to have to change for good.

Latest posts

Back