S-10 Rolling Chassis for a 46 I Harvester?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRON MAIDEN

Has anyone transplanted their K/KB trucks onto a Chevy S-10 rolling chassis?

I can't afford a Mustang II kit. I want independent front suspension and a smooth ride. I keep reading how so many guys use S-10 chassis to transplant their old school trucks onto. As much as I want to build a new frame and choose a nice suspension a steering for it, I just don't think I have the patience to do it that slow. $$$$ will force me to build it over a long period of time. If I go with another chassis, it will sure speed up the project and get this Harvester back on the road. Anyone with any experience with this and what all needs to be done?
If you look at my build thread, you will see I have a 46 K3 with the 8.5' long bed. If I do go with a donor S-10, should I look for a long bed truck to use? Or just expect to stretch the frame for my needs?

s 10

I have just started putting a 46 chevy truck on a s10 frame.The first thing is the kick out has to be cut its to wide for my truck. You will have to weld on the inside of the frame. How low you want the truck will be another issue, The motor will have to be moved back about 9 in. or so, trans x member will have to be moved also. If your going to use the long bed you will need to use a extended cab and you will probaly have to lengthen the frame. There are a lot of issues, but it can be done. I've heard a ranger is a good fit but I dont know. hope that helps you.

There a lot of unfinished projects around that the owners/builders just couldn't get finished . Motivation can be lost , it happens to everyone sooner or later . Money gets tight,it takes too long , locking your self in the garage too finish up a project gets unfun . lots of things can get in the way , if building cars and cars in general are not your main thing in life . A good way too start is to buy a runner and drive it and tinker with it and see if it's as much fun as it looks . "Stretching" a frame requires some serious planning , cutting ,welding ,drive shaft "stretching" all brake lines , wires , fuel lines etc have too be "stretched" lots of time consuming work . Unless you have a back lot full of parts you have been collecting for years , getting parts takes money and lots of time . A $500 beater gives you instant driveability . Took me 10 years to build my first scratch built truck . 2nd one got done in 6 months with 3 guys spending 5-6 hours in the garage every night . Towards the end it got to be a bit of a chore .

Latest posts

Back