s10.butcher build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping you were gonna do a mud-truck fender trim and run the s-10 hood

599080d1306387835-starting-my-83-s10-truggy-uploadfromtaptalk1306387829504.jpg

never considered that idea.... damn you lol [ddd .... now my gears a grinding again [S

my plan is to section bits and pieces of hood and front fender edge and lower valance to build a rad shell.... then section the remnants of the hood to fit.... will be triangular.... hood is a maybe :cool:

Hey S10.Butcher

I gotta say this is something I would have never thought to do...I would have been looking for a 1950's cab and putting all that stuff onto that frame.

Gosh I wish I could have found one in that nice of shape..I would be driving it daily...they are awesome little trucks in stock form...

I used to read somewhere that the s10's are the new model "A"s. Not sure but yours does bring it a different place that for sure.

Why didnt you leave the stock motor in it?

MikeC

this one wasn't a runner.... I bought off a kid who had killed to original v6 and attempted to swap in a efi one and gave up ....truck was originally carbed.... motor then sat unsealed for a few years .... i sold it and the tranny behind it for 50 bucks....my old man and I had parted out a tbi c1500 a few years back and kept the running 350/700r4 combo so it was a natural new home for it......the truck cost a 100 with regi.... sold the box for a 100 also :D

I like how you set the cab and motor back from the front wheels. Good idea on the MII rack, that means you can chop off the the ugly frame horns. Those are the 2 biggest proportion problems everyone seems to ignore with the s10 frame, the front heavy look and the bulky frame horns.

Just my opinion, I think you should have cut and replaced the frame bump outs with straight rec. tube. Maybe a little late now, looks bulky as is. How are you going to run exhaust?

Needs a chop too. :D

Don't try to go with a '32 style upright grill - it never looks right on widebody vehicles. (another proportion problem)

Like the front/rear fenders too. Good thinking! [cl

Gonna graft a g body 4 link 7.5 in back...

Frame bumps? where on the frame ... I plan to fill all unneeded holes and box it etc... still in early mock up.... i really have no plan.... just build it as I go.... stop .... think for a week.... build some more [;)

Great fab work so far.
I was just wondering why you would change the steering. The way it is this truck will drive very close to original besides the weight distribution being different.

My Reasons to R+P vs Steering Box:

1 - No PS Pump needed

2 - Box is ugly as is the frame rails

3 - Will keep people guessing as to what it is

Frame bumps? where on the frame ... I plan to fill all unneeded holes and box it etc... still in early mock up.... i really have no plan.... just build it as I go.... stop .... think for a week.... build some more [;)

The slight bump out between the cab and font wheels. For a open wheel, it is bulky and messy. If you're OK with it, I'm Ok with it. :cool: If you were to do something about it, I would suggest running rec. tube from as far forward as possible, run it to the start of the cab, and then angle it to the frame rail.

The slight bump out between the cab and font wheels. For a open wheel, it is bulky and messy. If you're OK with it, I'm Ok with it. :cool: If you were to do something about it, I would suggest running rec. tube from as far forward as possible, run it to the start of the cab, and then angle it to the frame rail.

ah ok I get what your layin down.... im not opposed to the concept ..... just the extra work :D ..... but I may now always see it and have to change it later on lol....

here is some the drivers side cowl sectioning I did tonight.... got it all welded .... but sunset @7 pm wasn't conducive for more pics....

2012-10-08%252013.26.00.jpg

2012-10-09%252018.20.22.jpg

2012-10-09%252018.43.51.jpg

Last edited:
There was supposed to be a picture with my last post. Even though you get the idea, here it is a little late. It may be something you can do later.

Attachments

• Pic-F_S10_frame_diag.jpg
    Pic-F_S10_frame_diag.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 133
My Reasons to R+P vs Steering Box:

1 - No PS Pump needed

2 - Box is ugly as is the frame rails

3 - Will keep people guessing as to what it is

Ok I gotcha. Didnt realize you were hacking off the front horns. Gonna look sick when its chopped.

Just saw this build, pretty cool idea definitely thinking out of the box. speaking of box. you were playing with the front fenders as the bed sides. you mentioned that you were going to have to fill in the gaps on the front edge to make the lines match up. Why not flip the fenders. put the passenger fender on the back of the drivers side of the cab and the drivers fender on the back of the passenger side, you could even weld them to the back of the cab and maybe use part of the hood as a top or a tonneau cover then just fab up a front piece to box it in. (maybe an old tail gate or the remaining piece of the hood?)

Just a thought.

Good luck with the build.

Arin

if i had a 30-50's era cab on it that would be perfect... I may use that for my next s10 chassis build thx! :cool:

Too bad you weren't in Alberta I could sell you a beautiful '52 international L110 cab and frame (cab in good shape no glass though frame's been cut up a bit from a previous owner ) I just don't have time to work on 2 at the same time

Just saw this build, pretty cool idea definitely thinking out of the box. speaking of box. you were playing with the front fenders as the bed sides. you mentioned that you were going to have to fill in the gaps on the front edge to make the lines match up. Why not flip the fenders. put the passenger fender on the back of the drivers side of the cab and the drivers fender on the back of the passenger side, you could even weld them to the back of the cab and maybe use part of the hood as a top or a tonneau cover then just fab up a front piece to box it in. (maybe an old tail gate or the remaining piece of the hood?)

Just a thought.

Good luck with the build.

Arin

I toyed with that idea, but I like the "kickup" of the fender as they sit :cool:

Latest posts

Back