S10 frames

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroJohnny

Quick guestion on frames for a rat truck. I noticed a lot of guys use the 80's S10 frames, but would a early 90's work the same? Whats the defference if it doesnt work well? I have a F1 cab that needs a home.

Personally, can't think of any reason other than..

Quick guestion on frames for a rat truck. I noticed a lot of guys use the 80's S10 frames, but would a early 90's work the same? Whats the defference if it doesnt work well? I have a F1 cab that needs a home.

extra ABS stuff and such..... don't think the frames are all that different but honestly I'm not totally sure[S....80's used the 2.8v6 or the 151 (iron duke) 4 banger..the 90's (some) used the 4.3 and the other newer 4 banger..but I believe the frame is essentially the same.... have to bow to the experts here.. I'll be interested to know what difference there might be.... [P

The biggest problem with the s10 frame is the front wheels sit too far back. IFS is fugly, but forgivable, but the motor hanging way out front is not. Sets the proportions all wrong.

As for the newer frame - 93 and up ( I think), I believe there is a little bit of a bump out behind the front wheels that wasn't there before that might make it a little harder to use. .... could be totally wrong too. Go look under one.

Thats what I was wondering. But I never have liked the newer frames and clips some people use. The A arm suspension on these just dont look right. I was just curious more than anything I guess. I just dont want to build a frame. Well just becasue I am not set up to build one. Not a straight one anyway.

There are some big build threads on RRR that start with building a frame from scratch. Study them. (usually the threads with the most posts are the in depth ones). It can be done with fairly simple tools, some time, and a 220V welder (and a pal that can weld well if need be).

Would you carve out a wooden wrench just because you have a couple old 2x4's laying around? :p

.....well, maybe. :eek:

Thats what I was wondering. But I never have liked the newer frames and clips some people use. The A arm suspension on these just dont look right. I was just curious more than anything I guess. I just dont want to build a frame. Well just becasue I am not set up to build one. Not a straight one anyway.

do you have the welding equiptment? because if you do you could build it and build it straight and you would have full control of of how your rod looks. Im just saying its amazing what a person can accomplish once they start working at it. if you dont have the tools start putting away some cash because once you start building you wont want to stop. Good Luck

Hate to hate

But I spent 3yrs building mine on a ford ranger frame that is more ladder style than an S10 zd it relocated the suspension mounts and engine mounts channeled my cab to fit. and it only took a hour to pull the truck apart and torch the frame for scrap when i relized it was ugly and un safe. build one or see if you could start with a EZTBUCKET frame maybe even modify it if you have to. my cab has a 2" lift off the body mount cause of that stupid frame. Worst part was admitting I should have listened to my buddy that said build a frame.

I have the welding equipment and a plasma cutter. I have built my share of race cars but they were all stock stubs in the front and square tube rear. My issue on building a scratch frame is getting it straight for road use. Stock cars and be fixed somewhat with suspension adjustments and a little tweaking. But a street car needs to be really as straight as possbile. I dont have a jig.

I built a basic metal table that I could clamp my tubing to and with a tape measure and double checking before welding I was surprised at how straight and square my frame came out. If you can weld and have built race cars I dont see why you coulddnt build your own frame.

Latest posts

Back