s10 steering column

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dad6timz

I'm putting a 46 chevy truck on a s10. The cab and fenders are in place. I went to put the steering column in and it's not long enough. I'm using all s10 parts. I need advice on what to do. Can I lengthen the s10 column some how or do I need to get another column? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

photos of steering column and photo showing how the wheels are in the center of the fenders

Attachments

• truck 09-2.jpg
    truck 09-2.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 29
  • truck 093-2.jpg
    truck 093-2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 32
  • truck 096-2.jpg
    truck 096-2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 28
I suggest you ditch the late model s10 wheel and column and replace it with something simple. Find a a tube column from a old car or truck, or even a newer (pre-90's) large vehicle, like a bus or delivery van.

But to answer your question, you'll probably need to get an extra knuckle and shaft - go pull them out of most any GM of around the same year. Don't weld a steering shaft - just not a good idea.

This is my Olds column on a 85 Cutlass frame.
attachment.php
attachment.php

I'm putting a 46 chevy truck on a s10. The cab and fenders are in place. I went to put the steering column in and it's not long enough. I'm using all s10 parts. I need advice on what to do. Can I lengthen the s10 column some how or do I need to get another column? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

If you decide on making your own [;) P/M me,I have a link to another site that show how to make your own column-Chuck

Go to the junkyard and get a longer steering sector (the colapsable piece that goes between the column and the steering box). Look at 70's full size cars, trucks, camaros ....etc.

I also like the idea of adapting an old column. I used the 48 column when I did my S-10 swap (plus a 79 camaro steering sector).

IMG_0286.jpg

Latest posts

Back